Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT crashes when trying to edit smart task email

ACT crashes when trying to edit smart task email

using V 16 on network using Windows 7.  When I go to manage smart tasks I can choose a task to manage.  Most of them are used to automatically send emails to client.  When I click the email and try to open for editing, the program crashes

leok@flycti.com

Administrator

Re: ACT crashes when trying to edit smart task email

[ Edited ]

Hi Leoklim,

Can you confirm if you are using the "Send Email" or the "Send Email Campaign" step in the smart task.

If its the "Send Email" step, does the crash happen as soon as you click the edit button from the screenshot below:

Act!_2016-03-15_13-57-21.png

Does the issue also happen on a newly created smart task?

Does the issue occur on any other databases? Could you test in the Demo database?

Does the issue occur on any other PC's or for any other Windows users?

Yes, I am using the send email step.  It occurs as soon as I hit the edit button. It does not happen with newly created smart tasks.

We are on a network but there is only one other user doing smart tasks.  I have asked him to try and edit one to see if he has the same issue.

Does not happen in Demo database.  As a side note, when I start act! and it loads, I get a "not responding" message for at least a minute before I can start using the database.  It sometimes does this during use during the day.

Administrator

Hi Leoklim,

I would be interested to know if the other user has the same issue.
I would suggest recreating the affected smart tasks. Do you have many using the email step?

I have dozens of them, each with many attachments.  What's to prevent new ones from doing the same thing down the road?

I'd really like to know the cause so I can fix existing ones.

Administrator

It sounds like the smart task may have become corrupted at some stage.
In this particular case, I'm not sure why it has happened.
A common cause for this is when a smart task that is set to auto run, is edited, while it is running in the background.
To avoid this, we recommend you disable auto-run for the particular smart task you want to edit, before editing it, then re-enable auto run after editing.

the tasks with problems are manual run only. the other user on the network tried and had the same problem with the system crashing.

Ahhh!  The problem seems to be somehow related to attachments to the smart task email.  I created a new one to replace the one that I can't edit and as soon as I added attachments, the program crashed.

Administrator

[ Edited ]

What version of  v16 are running?

I would strongly suggest updating to the latest available update and hotfix for v16.

http://www.act.com/resources/downloads

The most recent hotfix (SP3 Hot Fix 1) resolved an issue with .NET 4.6 which I think may be the issue causing this behaviour.

Act! Premium Version 16.0.291.0, Hot Fix 5