Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 4-Slow lookup on some pc's

Tuned Listener

ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 4-Slow lookup on some pc's

We have the same version of ACT on all our pc's but some pc's perfom quick while doing a lookup and some pc's take a lot of time to do the same. The lookup window keeps freezing for more than 30 seconds. And today it is on PC x and so it changes around. It's not always the same pc(s).

kind regards

Jurgen Poelmans

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 4-Slow lookup on some pc's

Are they using local databases ro a shared database over the network?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Re: ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 4-Slow lookup on some pc's

We only use one local dbase. All the rest is shared. On our server we don't see anything abnormal and everything about ACT is excluded from our virus scanner. We did this to be sure that scanner wasn't the problem. On the pc everything also looks normal.
Platinum Elite Contributor

I actually assumed that it was a shared database but I needed to ask. Another thing is the server dedicated or does it also server as a workstation? Given that ACT! submits the query to the SQL server and the server actually does the search, you need to focus on the server hardware, the SQL server and the network itself. A bad NIC card or driver could be dragging the network speed down.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

The server is dedicated. HP DL580 proliant quad core, 8Gb ram, 1 Gb nic's. 3 x HP gigabyte switch. The server and the PC don't show strange behavior. And the network looks fine. It's something specific to ACT. Other programs on the pc's are working fine. I've had the problem yesterday myself, I closed ACT and restart ACT and then it works fine. So it looks that sometimes ACT isn't starting up properly, it works for a certain time and starts getting very slow.

Jurgen Poelmans

Bronze Elite Contributor

Some questions:

What is the content of the lookup?  Is it an advanced query containing a number of parameters and if so what types of fields?

Try logging on as a different Windows user on the machine that is experiencing the problem, but log on to ACT! as the user that has the problem. Then run the lookup. Is there any difference in responsiveness? 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Tuned Listener

We do a lookup by company or a group lookup. Is no advanced query, we don't use them often. If we login by a different windows user doesn't make a different. The strange thing is that today ACT runs fine on a PC and the next day it's slow. Sometimes we close ACT and restart ACT and then it works fine.

Jurgen Poelmans

Bronze Elite Contributor

If you log off / log on process alleviates the problem I would look to resources on the workstation which are released through the log off /log on cycle.

Do you see a high amount of disk activity, processor high usage, particular processes consuming large amounts of RAM?

Disable antivirus software, does that have an effect?

Does the problem get progressively worse after each lookup?

Any other symptom such as screen freezes and getting a distinctive red X across the screen?

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog