Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT and vpn

ACT and vpn

I am at the point where ACT and other Sage products are in danger of being deleted from our approved products/vendor list are wiped off every hard drive in the organization; however, I thought to give this forum a chance. Here's the scenario: Local LAN with private ip addresses connect to internet through a router/firewall/gateway device and then a cable modem. Internet NIC on router has static public IP issued by ISP. Cable modem is strictly pass-thru. All local LAN users can access ACT! 2006 Premium for Workgroups with no problems. The company's owner wants to be able to have access via vpn for several remote users. For security reasons, remote db's can not be used as db contains some very confidential client information. I can establish a vpn and access ALL network assets except ACT. When I try, the db will not open because the supplemental files can not be found. The db can be used if it is accessed via RDP, just not via vpn. I do not want to use RDP for security reasons as well as Sage's statement that this version of ACT is not supported in a Terminal Services environment. The db resides on a Windows 2003 Server standard edition, all users have XP Pro SP2. All of the correct ports are open on the router, the PAD file points to the internal IP address of the server, all permissions are correctly configured, and access is granted via group policy. If any one has any ideas on how to make this product behave the way Sage says it does, I would appreciate it. Sage has absolutely no idea of how to resolve this issue and has left me to hang in the wind.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT and vpn

Is this the error you get? http://tinyurl.com/26w6st

Try all the items, but my guess would be changing the PAD to the IP adress as per that doc... some VPNs don't properly broadcast the host names.

Yes, that is the message I get. I have already done all of the steps outlined in that kba; also, all PAD files have been using IP address as db location for over a year.

Can you ping the IP of the server from the remote?

Start | Run | Cmd
   Ping serverIP

Can you telnet into the server on port 1433 from the remote?

Start | Run | Cmd
   Telnet serverIP 1433

With vpn established at remote pc, server can be pinged via ip address. Telnet is a blocked access protocol from the internet; can only be used within the LAN. Telnet and FTP are both blocked protocols. Acceptable protocols are SQL on ports 1433/34, RDP on 3389/90, ACT on 3309 via tcp/udp.

P.S. According to Sage 2nd tier "support", ACT and the vpn are configured correctly and should work; their guess is it has something to do with SQL.

Yes; but I'll check when I get home tonight to confirm.

Confirmed telnet blocked on vpn.
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]
Try on the host machine going to Start > Run >  actdiag

Click on Databases > Database list

Click on the grey button beside your database

Right click and choose Database fixes > Datastore location and change it to use the IP address there.

Seems wierd though that you cant telnet through your VPN. Admittedly I don't know a massive amount about VPNs, I though it would just appear as an extension of your LAN and behave in the same way.

Message Edited by broony on 03-05-2008 11:04 AM