Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT and vpn

Re: ACT and vpn

Sad to say, but ACT! For Workgroups 2006 does NOT have the option to modify the database location. Any other thoughts?
Platinum Elite Contributor

hubblecat wrote:
Sad to say, but ACT! For Workgroups 2006 does NOT have the option to modify the database location. Any other thoughts?

Unfortunately, I don't have 2006 to test with. I wonder if you detached the database in ACT8DIAG, then Opened the ADF using the IP if it would create the PAD file with IP instead of machine name as the host?

broony wrote:
Seems wierd though that you cant telnet through your VPN. Admittedly I don't know a massive amount about VPNs, I though it would just appear as an extension of your LAN and behave in the same way.

That would be a function of the firewall to allow certain ports for VPN users
Highlighted

Re: ACT and VPN

PAD file already points to the IP address of db server. It was modified using notepad. I will try your suggestion this weekend when I do server maintenence; can not do so before then as the db is accessed from 7am to 8pm and sometimes later.

Let us know... if that doesn't work, Sage Database Services might need to do the change

Your suggestion did not work. I will be contacting Sage Database Services shortly. Thanks for the help.

BTW: With Telnet, if you go:

Telnet IPAddress 1433

It shouldn't be blocked because it's the SQL port. If it comes up with a blank screen, the SQL server is answering
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]
At one point I used to get the same error. Not sure how or why, but here's some information on what I was experiencing. Once the VPN connection was established I would navigate to mapped drives which pointed to the database files. When mapping a drive, you can either use the IP address or you can use the name. For example, assume Z: is mapped as 'Act on '64.57.*.*' (ZSmiley Happy' and then Y: is mapped as "Act on 'seeds' (YSmiley Happy' where 'seeds' is the name of the server.

I can access the files in Windows Explorer by going to either the Y: or Z: drives. However, when trying to open Act on the remote computer through the VPN, it will only work on the mapped drive Z:, the one mapped by server name rather than IP address.

I've tried to research this issue in various Microsoft KBs, trying to figure out what the difference is between the two mapping techniques. Unfortunately the search terms are too vague and I can never find any information. But I can tell you that I've had this issue come up with Act and mapped drives enough to know that's my issue. I hope I was able to explain that well enough for someone to understand.

(This is Act Premium 7/2005 on a Windows 2003 VPN. We utilize port forwarding so that all traffic that comes to our public IP address is routed to the server. I currently have one full time user utilizing this set up every day and this is how I access the db from home.)

Message Edited by DaveHenzel on 03-25-2008 08:25 AM

Message Edited by DaveHenzel on 03-25-2008 08:32 AM

When opening ACT via vpn, are you opening by using the PAD file? If so, how is the PAD file configured? Sage says to edit the PAD file with Notepad and replace the server name with the IP address (for us, it's 192.168.x.x). I would be very interested in seeing the configuration, with sensitive data redacted of course. Of further note, I finally reached the boiling point last Thursday and contacted the Sage corporate officer in charge of the business unit responsible for ACT. Other than a brief telephone conversation and confirmatory email indicating the issue would be brought to the attention of their top technical guru as well as the development team, I have yet to hear from someone at Sage who can resolve the issue.
Copper Super Contributor

I don't think there's anything here that needs to be redacted. So here's the entire contents of our PAD file. And to answer your question, yes, once I connect to the VPN, then I navigate to the correct drive letter and then double-click the PAD file.

?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
!DOCTYPE ACT2005DatabasePADFile>
!--This file represents a Pointer to an Act Database or [PAD]-->
ACT2005Database name="SEEDSDB2005" host="SEEDS" location="C:\UserData\ACT\SEEDSDB2005.ADF" type="Sql" />

As you can see, we have our database shared under the directory UserData. I had to remove some less than characters for it to format correctly.