Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT and vpn

Re: ACT and VPN

Ok I followed the steps and I am very close.  Using the IP number in the pad I can start to open the database.  It prompts for Name and Password.  Then I get can not find the supplemental database files.  I an not sure which files to copy and exactly where to put them, but I think I am past the vpn roadblocks.

Copper Contributor

I read this post and this is exactly what I am thinking of implementing but need advise on my scenario. Currently using 2011 Premium (web) on a 2003 server. The outside salesmen complain of slow response and dropped connections. I think a component of the problem is the usage of the server during the day by others in the office that slows down the outside salesman's connection to the database because they do not seem to complaint when they access Act in the evening. So, is using a VPN going to give me faster more reliable connections to the database than the web access does? My only other idea is to set up a separate server (web) for the database thereby eliminating all the server traffic except for those accessing the Act database internally. Or do I do both or something else? Thanks in advance for any thoughts that can help. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

VPN to the Web wouldn't make a difference.
VPN to directly open the database would likely be slower.

The two choices are:
1. Improve performance of the server - might be expensive for one user
2. Set up sync to a local copy and sync via VPN
Copper Contributor

Mike,

Thanks for the response, I will try to improve the performance. You mentioned sync and we have used that in the past but one salesmen I had using sync complained that notes he had entered had disappeared. I did not believe him but while I was testing that problem it happened to me so we went to the web based to stop that. Any comments or experiences with "lost" notes or contacts? I did not do any further testing to try to isolate the problem because the web based was a quicker solution, but now the same salesman complains of slow response and getting "timed out".

Thanks again for your help!

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

I haven't personally seen lost data with sync ... and a bit tricky to trace without the logs from when it happened :-(