Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! and Security

Copper Contributor

ACT! and Security

Our database is on a file server and workstations load up ACT! locally and it uses the DB on the fileshare.

My questions is:

1. The user's workstations all have the server drive mapped to them. This makes me nervous. Can and employee 'accidently' open the network drive where the act database file is and delete it? or copy it?

I know they can't delete the database while logged into ACT! (because they are not admins). I'm just worried about a manual delete.

Thanks,

Steve

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! and Security

Because the SQL server has the database files open all the time, they couldn't do a manual delete from their workstation.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thanks Roy! I appreciate your reply.

Also, what about the copying of the folder? Like, what happens if someone just copies the entire Act! folder or Database file? Can they do that too? Or wil they recieve the "cannot be Copied/being used by another program" windows error?

Thanks!!

-Steve

They would get the error unless the SQL server on the network server was stopped and they could not do that from a local workstation.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Nickel Contributor

Maybe this point is moot... but if they are have manager level access then they wouldn't need to copy the db files from the server.. they could simply make a back up and have a copy. Or even export all the contacts to excel.
Copper Contributor

Interesting point. I am sure an ACT! Rep can answer it?

I just want to make sure my DB is secure. We did have a breach 5 years ago which forced us to drop ACT! and go for a much more expensive but much secure hosted mysql custom DB.

Administrators and Managers can backup the database, all others can't. 

Backup is an interesting issue. While a user can't do a Windows copy of the database files for a database connected to an SQL server, provided the server isn't stopped,  it is possible to get around that. I use a backup program on my system that will backup open files. It backs up my ACT! database files and I have tested and can replace the backup files and have them connect to the server and be used. The bottom line, Windows was not designed as a high security operating system.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129