Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! & QuoteWerks

Bronze Contributor

ACT! & QuoteWerks

When I save a Quote in QuoteWerks, QuoteWerks also attaches the quote to ACT! 2010 in the Documents tab as a QuoteWerks document that I can re-launch into QuoteWerks by double-clicking.

After that, I also want to be able to attach the pdf version of the quote to the Documents Tab, either by drag n drop or by a "Add Document"

Once QuoteWerks attaches it's own quote, I am no longer able to attach any other type of document to the Documents Tab either by drag n drop or by "Add Document" - if I try, I get a "Failed to attach the file to the datastore"

If I remove the QuoteWerks Quote, I am then able to attach any other type of document to the Documents Tab, like the pdf.

QuoteWerks v4.5

ACT! 2010 Premium w/o SP1

Signature
Platinum Elite Contributor
Bronze Contributor

Re: ACT! & QuoteWerks

Thanks Michael for the suggestions - I tried that kb article on their database, and then tried my own database and am getting the same results.  Don't know whether it's an ACT! or a QuoteWerks issue.
Signature

I haven't seen anyone else post with that specific circumstance... and I have most of the on-line forums for ACT! locally indexed.

Have you asked the QW guys?

Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

On October 13th 2009, Aspire/QuoteWerks reported this document attachment issue to Sage/ACT! and at that time, they issued a ticket ID of 89164. This issue was introduced by ACT! development with the introduction of ACT! 2010 and will also effect anyone that has upgraded from previous version of ACT! (2005 and higher). This issue does not effect users of ACT! 2009 or lower, however.

We have periodically contacted ACT!, but have not received a successful status update on their issue. To find out the status of the ACT! issue, you can contact Sage directly and reference the ACT! ticket ID of 89164.

If they do provide you with a status update regarding the issue, it would be helpful for our development staff if you could update this thread and provide any details on the progress. Thank you.

Message Edited by QuoteWerks on 03-05-2010 12:08 PM

Tuned Listener

Unfortunately, it is not an issue for all SDK products. It can occur when an SDK product changes the document link name to be different than the actual attachment name. This enables QuoteWerks, in this case, to provide a better description of what the file is and why it is attached to the ACT! record. A standard that we set many years ago was to include the Quote number in brackets "<" and ">". This was not an issue in ACT! prior to 2010. QuoteWerks development looked at the possibility of changing this standard, but the problem would still remain for the thousands of ACT! users that have upgraded from ACT! 2005 or even 2009. The hundreds of thousands of quotes, orders, invoices, and proposals that have been attached to ACT! contact records over the years fall under the issue that ACT! development introduced. For this reason and that fact that we were told that the issue would be resolved by ACT!, we did not make any changes.Hopefully the next ACT! SP will resolve the issue. 

Regards,

Brian Laufer

Aspire Technologies, Inc.

http://www.quotewerks.com/act.asp

Thanks for the info, Brian... I was just wondering who I hadn't seen any similar posts. I guess you would get them on your support line :-)

This problem ONLY happens if the ACT contact has one or more QuoteWerks links attached before you try to attach another document (such as a PDF).  If you delete all the QW items from the document tab, then it's possible to attach other documents... until you attach a QW link.

Therefore I don't think this is problem with ACT.  This must be a problem with the automatic links that QW places in ACT after saving a quote if QW is setup to use ACT as a contact manager.

Bronze Contributor

The problem is with the '<' and '>' that QW uses to name the document.  ACT! never used to care about those 2 characters.  In ACT! 2010, it cared to the extent that once there was ONE QW document in the Tab, ACT! barfed when you tried to attach any other document - QW or not.

Then, in ACT! 2011 Beta, ACT! resolved that and everything was beautiful.

Then, in ACT! 2011 Beta refresh, ACT! completely broke the thing, and you can't attach ANY QW document, so it's worse than it was in ACT! 2010.

Nobody knows what ACT! 2011 holds until it's released and tested.  I, for one, will not upgrade to ACT! 2011 until the problem is fixed - I'm tired of one step forward, two steps back.

Signature