Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT V9 Premium for Web Restoring a Backup Problem

Tuned Listener

ACT V9 Premium for Web Restoring a Backup Problem

[ Edited ]
Hi All,

We have a problem with restoring an ACT Backup in ACT Premium V9.01 for Web for a client. The database backs up to a zip file but when restoring a .net style error message appears headed "system.exception: invalid index" followed by a very long incomprehensible error message. I have a screen shot if this would help. I have found this forum message and we are able to write a sql script to schedule a backup every night. However, I would prefer to use ACT's backup routine as the client is looking into their disaster recovery and do not want to rely on us every time they need to do a restore.

I suspect the problem is in the attachments folder which contains 90,000+ files and is 767mb in size. I have moved the attachments folder and the database backs up & restores fine. I have removed all attributes such as read only etc from the files. Sage have suggested that we test backups with half the files and try to establish where the corrupt files are. However, with 90,000+ this will take some time.

Can anybody suggest why the zip file is being corrupted, if that is the case? 

Regards

Glyn 
Message Edited by glynbaker on 06-07-2010 03:13 AM
Message Edited by glynbaker on 06-07-2010 03:13 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT V9 Premium for Web Restoring a Backup Problem

The first step is to test the backup file before moving it to another computer.  To do this:

- open the database > go to File\Backup\Database > set the location to a local folder (desktop is fine) > create a new backup file (*.zip)

- when backup is complete > go to File\Restore\Database > select 'Restore As' (so you do not overwrite your production database)

- give the new db a name and location and let the restore begin

- if it is successful, the backup process is working and the file is ok

- if it fails at this point we will need the error message to have a better idea of why it is failing

- if you attempt to use the same backup file, that was successful, on another computer and it fails, then you know the zip file was damaged in transit.  

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Hi Greg,

Thanks for this. I used Restore As to the same server that created the backup running Windows Server 2003. We have also tested on a Windows SBS2003 server and a Windows XP box with exactly the same result. Each time we created a new backup zip file on each machine. Backups excluding attachment folders work OK

The full error message reads:

System.Exception: Invalidindex.

atC1,C1ZipEntryCollection.Extract(Int32 index, String destFileName)

atC1,C1ZipEntryCollection.Extract(String entryName, String destFileName)

atAct.Framework,ActDatabase,ActDatabaseManager,ClassicRestoreDatabaseAs(StringdatabaseName, String databaseHost, String databaseType, String newTargetFolder,String userLogOn, String userPassword, String zipFile, String zipPassword,ProgressEventHandler progressHandler, Boolean shareDatabase)

atAct.Framework.ActDatabase.ActDatabaseManager.RestoreDatabaseAs(StringdatabaseName, String databaseHost, String databseType, String newTargetFolder,String userLogOn, String userPassword, String zipFile, String zipPassword,SupplementalFileManager sfMgr, ProgressEventHandler progressHandler, BooleanshareDatabase)

atAct.Framework.ActFramework.RestoreDatabaseAs(String databaseName, StringdatabaseHost, String databaseType, String newTargetFolder, String userLogOn,String userPassword, String zipFile, String zipPassword, ProgressEventHandlerprogressHandler, Boolean shareDatabase)

atAct.UI.MaintenanceManager.RestoreDatabaseAsTask.DoTask()

Thanks

Glyn 

Platinum Super Contributor

Unfortunately it definitely sounds like an issue with one or more of your attachments and the next step is to try and isolate it/them, which can be very time consuming.  Before trying to isolate the file(s) using backup/restore - try browsing through the attachments folder and looking for 'overly' long file names (possibly with a GUID or timestamp added to them).  Remove them and then attempt the backup/restore process.  Other than that, it will be a process of elimination.

Two options for creating a backup, when the backup/restore process has an issue:

1. Use the 'Save Copy As' option under the File menu.  You can create a duplicate of the database and test with it.

2. Manually copy the database files.  To do this you have to stop the service 'SQL Server (Act7)' so that SQL will release the lock on the files, but you can then copy/paste them to a different location.  If you want to use this 'copy' of the database, you will need to rename the files > delete the PAD file > open the copy with the ADF file.

Note: Stopping the service will stop access to the database, you will want to find a time when no one is using the database.

Greg Martin
Sage