Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT V18 restore backup from older version keeps timing out

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT V18 restore backup from older version keeps timing out

I have spent 2 days trying to upgrade my ACT to V18 from V16.

Here is the deal.  We have an old windows server 2003 server running ACT v16.

I have two databases here titled Vendors, 69.75 meg and DHP_Inc. 3.4 gig  I backed up Vendors to a file called Vendors.zip.  Took awhile and disabled attachements but I was also able to back up DHP_Inc to DHP_Inc.zip.

We purchased a new windows sever 2012 and ACT v18.  Installed ACT v18 on the new server. The new server is collocated at a new facility so I had to upload the two zip files which took all day long because the zip for DHP_Inc was over 12 gigs and our FTP is not that fast from our office. At first everything went smooth.  Was able to do a "restore as" with the vendors database.  Worked beautifully.  Did the upgrade and the vendors database is running.  Then got to the DHP_inc database.  3 Hours in to the restore and I get a error. Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or cannot find server. 

So I went into ACTDiag.exe and the DHP_Inc and Vendors databases are loaded in my list but the DHP_Inc database has a restoring status and everything else is null.  The vendors database is just fine.  So I try to delete the database so I can start again but I keep getting sql errors anytime I try to take any action on the database.

Finally learned I could go into command prompt and type in ACTDiag delete DHP_inc to get rid of it.  Went back into ACTdiag and adjusted the timeouts.  Added 10000 seconds to them because I read through all the KBs I could and was told that that was the maximum time.

Ok started the restore again.  3 hours later the same flipping problem.  Called Swiftpage tech support.  After waiting for an hour on hold(not exaggerating) I finally get a tech and he goes through the same steps I have already gone through and starts the restore again.  And literally tells me that he down;t know whats causing the problem.  Hangs up with me and tells me to get hold of him when done.  3 hours timeout again.  Although I did notice the the ADF and alf files are created with the same sizes as the one on my old database.  So I decide to open the ADF file with act. It asks me for my password.  It pops up a box that says working with little progress circles on it.  Its now been working for 2 hours.  What the heck.  It should not be this difficult to upgrade a database from V16 to V18.    I paid over $3000 for 10 licenses.  As far as I can tell tech support does not know their own products and only go off of a steplist.  After that they don't anything.  I have been at this for two days now and I'm at the end of the day today and still haven't got this other database up.

Sorry I'm complaining but this is always the same type of situation I get into when upgrading any of my versions of ACT.  I have been able to fix things before but so far not this time.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author deeaamon
‎01-20-2016 06:06 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: ACT V18 restore backup from older version keeps timing out

Hi, The SA log on error may give a clue. You also state that other databases have loaded OK.

First question -

Have you got SQL Express or Standard installed on the new server? If the ADF file on the problem database  is over 10 GB you need SQL Standard or better.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Super Contributor

I had a similar situation with one of our clients. We found that stopping the SQL service on the old server, doing a direct copy of the .ADF/.ALF & database-files folder etc to an external USB drive, then physically transporting that drive to the datacentre, coping across to the new server, and then opening it up worked fine. I don't know what caused the issue, but it appeared to be something was sticking a leg out of bed each time we backed it up. Doing a 1:1 copy worked.

Ben.

Copper Contributor

Hey thanks for answering.

That would be ok except the new computer is in Phoneix and I am in New Mexico.  I actually tried doing what you were jusy saying except I was going to upload the files to a FTP on the new server instead of using a USB drive.  The files I was going to upload were the.ADF/.ALF and database folder but the size was over 40 gig.  After taking out the attachments it was about 30 gig.  Went to do the FTP and it says its gonna take 2 days and 50 minutes. and I need to get this running now.  Might be faster If I drove to Phoenix LOL.

I just don't understand why ACT is so tempermental.

Thanks again.  The advice was sound.  When I did the restore this last time it created the ADF and ALF files in the ACT DATA folder.  It just didn't create the PAD file and the Database Files Folder.  I opened the ADF file within act to see if it will create the PAD file and Database Files folder for me and hope the rest of the contacts are there.  It still says working.  Been doing that for about 3.5 hours now.  I'm crossing my fingers hoping it doesn't crash and that it finally finishes.

Darrell

Bronze Super Contributor

You could perhaps just FTP the .ADF/.ALF and then restore,

start using it, knowing that the attachments are not there... yet.

and then start FTP'ing the attachments up.

Copper Contributor

Yep, 

That's what I'll do.  The problem now is just getting the database to work.  The opening the ADF file didn't work.  Now I'm trying to extract the zip file and restore the .bak file directly.

That's what the tech just suggested.

Copper Contributor

Nope still didn't work.  When I restore I am getting

timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
The backup or restored was aborted.

Then I am getting a exception error

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Login failed for user 'sa'.
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, TimeoutTimer timeout, Boolean withFailover)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, TimeoutTimer timeout)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(TimeoutTimer timeout, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString userConnectionOptions, SessionData reconnectSessionData)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject, DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, UInt32 waitForMultipleObjectsTimeout, Boolean allowCreate, Boolean onlyOneCheckConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpenInner(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
   at ActDiag.DatabaseCollection.?(String ?, String ?, Boolean ?)
   at ActDiag.DatabaseCollection.?(Boolean ?)
   at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.?(Object ?, EventArgs ?)
   at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.MenuItemData.Execute()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Command.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Command.DispatchID(Int32 id)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCommand(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
ClientConnectionId:439332d4-6cf3-4477-987e-046fa0d34845

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34014 built by: FX45W81RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ActDiag
    Assembly Version: 18.0.501.0
    Win32 Version: 18.0.501.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ACT/Act%20for%20Web/ActDiag.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.33440 built by: FX45W81RTMREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34003 built by: FX45W81RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Transactions
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
System.EnterpriseServices
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.EnterpriseServices/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll
System.ServiceProcess
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.ServiceProcess/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.ServiceProcess.dll
System.Numerics
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Any ideas?

Bronze Super Contributor

Hi Darrell,

You could try increasing the Act! timeouts in 'actdiag'

Tools | Adjust Act! Timeout Values

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Solution
Accepted by topic author deeaamon
‎01-20-2016 06:06 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi, The SA log on error may give a clue. You also state that other databases have loaded OK.

First question -

Have you got SQL Express or Standard installed on the new server? If the ADF file on the problem database  is over 10 GB you need SQL Standard or better.

Copper Contributor

Yeah,  I have already done that.  Was one of the first things I tried to do.

Thanks though.  I do appreciate the help.

Copper Contributor

I have express.  This could definitely be the problem.  Do I really have to pay tp get SQL Standard?  Or is it free?  I guess I can look that up

Thanks