Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT User License is more like a per PC license

ACT User License is more like a per PC license

HI, ACT! 16 Premium (full product ,in-house) user license was purchased in 2014. It's not a subscription. Can you point me to the URL (documentation and paragraph) where I find the licensing limitation clause that limits this "perpetual" "user" license to a defined number of application installs. Also, if you could point me to the URL (documentation and paragraph) where it explains that a change in IP address (like joining a domain or setting a PC to a static IP) is deamed to be considered an application install. I've asked customer care for this document and was unable to get it from them. I haven't been able to find or read this important limitation.
Many Thanks In Advance

Details:
Act!16.2.14.0
Shared server database
OS Windows 8.1

Rick Walsworth
The Millar Corporation
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT User License is more like a per PC license

It's licensed per named user in the database ... but, if it's installed to many times, you have to call each install to get it done.
That's to prevent a key being passed around on the internet

Hi GL Computing,
Thanks for the reply. What you say is kind of what I thought too.
But called Customer care and was told by a 2nd level manager "No. They would not do that because then they would have to do it for everyone."

So....?
Rick Walsworth
The Millar Corporation
Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Hi Mike,

Thought about what you said about this license restriction being to prevent a key being passed around on the internet. And as the light bulb in my head turned on, it became obvious that if I was reckless enough to do something like that, it would have no effect on me UNTIL someone actually registered a new User for their "locally" installed ACT database. By extension, it would be My user allotment that would be reduced if this happened. So... Why would I do something to allow something like that to happen? I would not and it makes no sense to restrict the PC's when your using the application by User.

(Plus - The software tells me how many user seats are used, how many are still available, and to whom they are registered, so I would know if someone else was using my license. By extension, so would Swiftpage through the ACT software.)

So...again by extension, there should be no issue for me to install the software on a PC and register the software. It's upon logging in to the software that the license kicks in. It all comes down to the "User" registration quantity, not the number of PC installs.

Also, if the PC was a second PC (say a work laptop for home & work) used by the same user, how does this matter for the registered user to user ACT? He still has to be on site here to access the shared database itself. He's still a registered user and he still complies with the license agreement.

So....that takes me back to trying to get the information as to where it states that a "perpetual" "User" license should be limited by a small number of PC installs or IP address changes.

But thanks for your input. Thoughtful and appreciated.

Rick
Rick Walsworth
The Millar Corporation
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Platinum Elite Contributor

No, the software only tells you that for the one database.

Whoever told you that they don't do that is simply wrong... Next time, get their name

Hi Mike,

Well.....There's a very telling piece of information.  Just for clarity please.....What you are saying is that "if someone else gets a hold of my code for my 9 user license......They can setup their own database and register their own 9 users on "their" database, effectively meaning that 18 users are now running their software?

If this is the case, then their software registration process is deeply, highly, exceptionally flawed and they shouldn't be marketing their software based upon it being sold on a per user basis.

And, by extension, their un-marketed workaround to arguably bad software coding/verification is by restricting the user license to something tantamount to a "per PC install" license?

Have I gone full circle here.   My original post was asking for the documentation telling me that my user license is restricted to a (very, very limited) number of PC installs, (installs which also mean, as stated by their level 2 customer care rep, all IP address changes), which documents BTW, I'm still seeking.

Thanks for your feedback...I hope you enlighten me on this post too.

Many thanks

Rick

BTW, I did get the name of the one who told me that they would not allow me to call in to register the software on install.....because then they would have to do it for everyone.  Supposedly it was a level 2 CC manager.

Rick Walsworth
The Millar Corporation
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Bronze Elite Contributor

Protecting serial numbers for software has always been a problem and companies find different ways of managing this. Generally ACT did allow 2 registrations for each licence so a 9 user licence could be installed on 18 machines to allow for dual use - Laptop and PC or broken PCs and new installations.

Each registration is recorded and once the maximum has been reached you would need to contact ACT (Swiftpage) and ask for the registration ceiling to be extended. This they will always do unless there is reason to suspect that the licence is being misused.

On top of this another programme called Protexis also runs on your PC and this lets Swiftpage know how many PCs are actively using the licence giving another layer of protection for both you and the owners of ACT. As I understand it Swiftpage now allow more installations per licence on the most recent versions of ACT and I think this is to accommodate where users have  PCs, Laptop, and Tablets etc.

Not sure if the explanation helps but whoever told you  that they could not release your licence for more registrations was incorrect unless of course they thought there was abuse. Most likely you meet someone who needs further training!

Hi ch1p,

Really great response and very helpful.  Thank you.  Unfortunately, while the essence of your post just confirms that the ACT user license is more like a per PC license......clearly, from our experience, this restriction is very problematic.

Our users licenses are very strictly controlled and adhered too.

We hit that 2 registration threshold because of two factors. (Which we had no idea was affecting our licensing.) 

1) When I/we build (or rebuild) a PC, I do all of the software installations when the PC is in the default "workgroup".  We start with a clean formatted H/D. After all of the software programs are installed and checked for functionality, the PC is only then connected to the domain at which time the PC is assigned to a user, the PC is given a new and unique PC name, it is normally given a static IP address in the range of the grouping that is using the PC.   I find out from ACT! 2nd level CC that by changing the IP address this constitutes another install in ACT!'s eyes. So this is 2 installs.

2) In addition, whenever a PC runs slow or is suspected of having malware, our on-site policy is to completely wipe and rebuilt the PC. We make no efforts to eradicate the problem or save any files. Poof...It's just dealt with. Simple and easy  This constitutes another 2 installs. (See previous para. 1 above.)

3) To compound this, and the root to what brought this license problem to light for me was.....we're exercising the free Windows 10 upgrade available now and until the end of July. We upgrade the PC's to Windows 10, registered the Windows 10 OS (which now ties the PC's internal components to the license) and then wipe the PC and rebuild the PC back to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 (respectively depending on the PC's OEM) in order to continue to use the PC with applications that are still not Windows 10 compatible.  This will allow us to upgrade back to Windows 10 later when the other software products get up to speed. This constitutes another 2 installs (See previous para 1. above.)

This upgrade brought us to the license wall.  I explained all of this to the Customer Care Rep and escalated it to level 2 CC looking for a solution.  Repeatedly, I was told at both levels:

1) The 9 user license we had was fully used up and could not be extended. NOT in any way.  Not even one time. Not even on a one by one, call in, case by case basis.

2) When the license is used up by installs, our only option would be to buy more licenses.

So...while I would be able to work with what you've told me on a call in one by one basis.....by experience, this is NOT the case.

So....please tell me how we've been misusing our license and why were not told, before purchasing, about this limitation?

Thanks

So what to do?

All great help and very much appreciated.....but still looking for the documentation.

Rick Walsworth
The Millar Corporation
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Bronze Elite Contributor

If you have been refused unlocking the licences there can only be 2 reasons. The licences have been abused or you have talked to someone who does not know what the licence policy is. If you want to send me BY CONTACT EMAIL ONLY AND NOT ON THIS SITE the serial number and I will find out why this is happening and see if I can get them to unlock.

If Garry reads this he might make the same offer - if he does go with him, it will be quicker.

Copper Contributor

This must be something new, because in a previous position I ws using Act 2010, and could constantly restore fatroy setting, or bring in new PCs and reinstall Act and never have an issue.