Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT User License is more like a per PC license

Silver Contributor

Re: ACT User License is more like a per PC license

Not seen am email message so assume you have sorted or looking an another option.

Highlighted

Hi ch1p,

Thanks for the offer to help with unlocking.  Email me at rwalsworth@millarcorp.ca so we can converse via email.

Rick Walsworth
The Millar Corporation
Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Still don't know why this is actually happening. A User license should have unlimited number of software installs be it's very definition. Surely many many more than 2 installs per user. I get that type of limitation when I purchase per PC software which allows me to let any user on the PC use the software.

So...takes me back to my original request.....

Still looking for the written documentation that informs me that my user license has a specified number of PC installs.
Rick Walsworth
The Millar Corporation
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Copper Contributor

Hi Rick,

Please refer to this KB Article about Swiftpage ACT! End User License Agreement.

17067 How to Locate the End User License Agreement for Sage ACT!

The part about usage goes like this "This Agreement permits you to: (1) use the Software: (a) on a single primary computer; (b) on a secondary computer that may be either your home computer or a portable computer that you own or use in your business or profession; (2) permit a third party information technology outsourcing entity ("IT Outsourcer") to load the Software on your behalf and strictly for your use and the use of the other named users for which you have purchased licenses and provide you access to the Software in a secure environment that would prohibit use by non-licensed third parties. Any such IT Outsourcer will have no rights under this Agreement to use, transfer or distribute the Software to any third party;..."

I hope this helps you!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Note: The Swiftpage license agreement states that you can install ACT! on a second computer using the same disk and serial number if you are in accordance with the 80/20 rule. That means that you must be the primary user on both machines. More specifically, you use one of them 80% or more of the time. For single-license users, you can install and register ACT! on two of your machines, but you must ensure that if you have different databases (including a remote database) on each machine, that you use the exact same user name to login to both databases, as any unique user names will require an additional license.

See: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15314

Hi Mike,

A very helpful post. 

So.... a question?  Where does the license and/or ACT! deal with a PC that needs to be rebuilt?  Does the "USER" license evaporate when I have to reinstall the software?   It's the same PC.  The 80/20 rule has not been violated. But the textual content of the license...clearly is written and applicable to a Per PC usage license.  Not a per user license. 

Which takes us back full circle back to the Title of this issue.

The documentation I'm looking for is where it tells me that the per user license is a per PC licence..."before I have paid for the user license"   Not in the micro print of the software install after I've spent 10 grand. i.e.  Where does it tell us this in the marketing materials.  In the promotional materials? In the invoicing materials? In the download materials? In the quotation materials?

Because my quotation when I bought our 9 user licenses stated " Per User"  No mention of a per PC limitation was stated, implied, nor conveyed.  Either verbally nor in writing.

Just trying to find the documents to support what I've been sold.

Thanks

Rick Walsworth
The Millar Corporation
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Platinum Elite Contributor

You bought 9-user licenses and the serial number is coded for 9-users in any one database.  That serial number also allows 27 activations (9 times 3) without permission from customer service for additional activations. Uninstalling and reinstalling on the same computer does not count as a separate activation however reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling would count as a separate activation.

The database, from the serial number where it was created, determines the user limit for the database. Activations are tracked by serial number by Swiftpage.

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Administrator

Hi Rick,

The information regarding how many times Act! can be installed and registered with a specific serial number is covered in the Act! End-User License Agreement (EULA) for your version of Act!. You can find the EULA for Act! by clicking Help > About Act!, then by clicking "View the End-User License Agreement". Based on the version you stated you have, in Act! v16, you'll find this discussed in Section 2, part D of the EULA. Registration is also discussed again in Section 4.

If you have already registered Act! on a machine and it's been working fine, but you're suddenly being prompted to register Act!, this is not considered to be a new application install, and Customer Service or Support should be able to assist you with this if it happens. You can also try to troubleshoot it yourself by using the following KB article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14245

Please let me know if you need any further clarification on this.