Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Sync with Windows Mobile and duplication problem

ACT Sync with Windows Mobile and duplication problem

We have ACT! by Sage Premium 2008 ((ST Edition) Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 1) at a client site. They have about 3000 contacts, and about 5 salesmen who have remoteDB`s on their laptops. They use the ACT mobile device sync to keep phone and DB up to date.

However, they frequently get duplicates of the entire DB, and I believe this is usually after a sync by one or other of the salesmen.

We thought we would solve this issue by applying the service pack and hotfixes, but although it has taken longer to appear again, it has done eventually, and now we have to go back to a recent backup and reset the remote DB`s.

Anyone have a clue what we can do to solve this permanently? Would we be better of using a different method to sync phone and DB?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Sync with Windows Mobile and duplication problem

I've also seen this happen when Activesync doesn't recognise the device and then see's all the contacts as new.

You might try Handheld Contact -  there are three different editions for Windows Mobile (including a free one) depending on the features you want.

Hi Mike

Thanks for the recommendation. Have you seen HHC work with that many contacts on Windows Mobile? I wonder if it is making the devices less reliable, and then causing this issue.

Anyway, I will give it a try and let you know the results.

Good luck in the final Ashes test (not!).

Mike

I have looked at the HandHeld Contact product. Couple of questions

1) How do you tell if you have Mobile Smartphone edition or Pocket PC edition, it doesnt seem clear from the manufacturer (HP, HTC, or the carrier Vodafone). They always call it Windows Mobile 6.1 Pro, but I dont think that specifys much.

2) So with 5 sales people, 5 remote dbs, 1 master db on a server (used by the office users), where would I install the HandHeld Contact program, on the server? And I assume that would mean that the remote users would need to sync their laptops to the main db to get the updates they made on their handhelds to their laptop db`s (because all changes would be made to the main db first)?

Platinum Elite Contributor

HHC on Windows Mobile can support up to 15,000 contacts

1. Pro is the Pocket PC version

2.Yes,for only 5 users, it's best to install the Console on the server

Bronze Elite Contributor

In my experience HandheldContact (HHC) is a much more satisfactory solution than any of the current mobile solutions supplied with ACT!

Sage need to address this area of their product, the out-of-the-box products they ship with ACT! are a token gesture at providing a solution for pda devices and they seem get insufficient testing or development. We don't recommend them. Go with HHC.    

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog