Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Scheduler

Accepted Solution Solved
Loyal Listener
Accepted Solution

ACT! Scheduler

We are running ACT! Premium 2010 on a full install of SQL 2007. For backups we are using the Barracuda Backup which includes a backup agent for SQL. I would also like to backup the database through the ACT! Scheduler. Can I install the scheduler and use it on the SQL server without messing something up with the SQL database?

Also can I manually backup the ACT! database with users logged in?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Synergetic308
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT! Scheduler

Lori,

I've just sent you a Private Message

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Super Contributor

You will not be able to backup the Act! SQL database via an outside backup solution, even with an SQL agent.

Reason is that the Act! database SA password is locked down - i.e. - you do not know what it is (by design - hence the scheduler.)

The recommended way to back up Act! is to use the scheduler.  Be sure that you do NOT tell the scheduler to place the resultant backup files in the BACKUP folder in the Act! folders, this is for Act! to use when creating backups - not for human consumption.

Create a plainly identifiable folder - something like 'ScheduledActBackups' or the like - and have the scheduler place it's zip file there.

Then just be sure that the Act! scheduler runs BEFORE your Barracuda Backup scheduler - allow for enough time to  complete - and that the Barracuda includes your ScheduledActBackups folder in its process and you are good to go.

Loyal Listener

So how do I install the scheduler? When I try to run it, I get the message that it is not installed.

I am planning to upgrade to ACT! 2010 sp1 can the scheduler be installed at this time?

The Act! Scheduler program is installed at the time of the normal Act! install, it isn't a separate install.  There are 2 ways to access it: 1. from the Act! Tools menu and 2. from the Windows 'All Programs' list. 

Can you give us the exact message you are receiving when you try to start the Scheduler?

What is the operating system you are running?

Greg Martin
Sage
Loyal Listener

The error is "ACT! Scheduler service is unavailable. Please install the service to run scheduler."

It is installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise

Since I do not have experience with SQL we paid someone to install through Sage support. So I don't have a lot of information about the install itself.

Look at your Windows Services screen (click on Windows Start button > enter 'Services.msc' in the Search field and hit enter) and see if 'Act! Scheduler' is in the list and if it is 'Started'.  If it is on the list but not started, right click on it and select Start and then try to run the application again.  While on the Services screen check the 'Startup Type' column and see if this service has been disabled.  If it is set to Disabled or Manual, you can double click on the service and change the Startup Type to Automatic.
Greg Martin
Sage
Loyal Listener

The service is not listed at all, that's the first thing I checked.

[ Edited ]

Before recommending that you uninstall/reinstall Act! (SQL can be left in place), I'd like for you to see if the Act! Scheduler service is listed in the Startup menu in the System Configuration Utility (Start > Search > MSCONFIG).  On the Startup tab there should be an entry for 'Act' with the command "c:\program files\act\act for windows\Act.Scheduler.UI.exe" -Dfalse

Is this in the list and is it 'checked' to enable it? 

Also look on the Services tab for 'Act! Scheduler' and ensure that it is checked.

Message Edited by gmartin on 04-15-2010 08:00 AM
Greg Martin
Sage
Loyal Listener

The scheduler is not listed. The Act.Outlook.Service and ACT! by Sage is listed and checked.

At this point I would recommend uninstalling Act! (through Control Panel > Programs and Features), reboot, then reinstall Act!. 

The uninstall will not affect the SQL install or Act!'s instance. 

Greg Martin
Sage