Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Scheduler - Outlook Activity Synchronization for Blackberry

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Scheduler - Outlook Activity Synchronization for Blackberry

TJF

Mike,

Sorry for the delay. There were a few errors in the event log, though not the number I expected given how often the Blackberry users report that the syncs have not been entirely successful. For the month of January, there were four days in which errors were recorded. I have copied in each of the different error messages. On some days, there were multiples of the same message.

1. Event Type: Error
Event Source: ACT! Outlook Sync Scheduler
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date:  1/24/2008
Time:  4:21:02 AM
User:  N/A
Description:
Error accessing or processing a PAD file - (FILE NAME DELETED FOR SECURITY)

at Act.Framework.PADFile.OpenPAD(String padFile)
   at Act.Scheduler.SchedulerService.StartOutlookSync(OutlookSyncTask task, String& errorMessage)

2. Event Type: Error
Date:  1/23/2008
Time:  10:25:24 AM
Description:
Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

at Act.Framework.DataExchange.DataExchangeManager.OutlookSource(Int32 hWnd, SourceLookupInstructions lookup, Boolean constrainByModificationDate, DateTime sinceConstraint, DateTime untilConstraint, Boolean scheduledOutlookSync, String outlookProfile)
   at Act.Scheduler.SchedulerService.UpdateFromOutlookToAct(ActFramework f, DataExchangeManager dem, OutlookSource& outlookSource, OutlookSyncTask task)
   at Act.Scheduler.SchedulerService.StartOutlookSync(OutlookSyncTask task, String& errorMessage)

3. Event Type: Error
Date:  1/21/2008
Time:  10:21:30 PM
Description:
Error in the application.

at Act.Framework.ActFramework.FailLogOn(Exception ex, TraceCategory tCat, TraceLevel tLevel)
   at Act.Framework.ActFramework.LogOn(String userName, String password, String databaseType, String databaseHost, String databaseName, Boolean fireEvents, Boolean suppressTierCheck, Boolean suppressSchemaCheck, Boolean suppressLicenseCheck, Boolean allowTrialModeDeparture)

4. Event Type: Error
Date:  1/15/2008
Time:  12:28:48 PM
Description:
The process cannot access the file 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ACT\ACT For Windows 9\SCHEDULER_FILE.xml' because it is being used by another process.

at Act.Framework.Synchronization.Utils.SchedulerConfig.SaveTask(DatabaseTask t, String fileName)
   at Act.Scheduler.SchedulerService.CompleteTask(Database d, DatabaseTask task, DateTime startTime, DateTime endTime, Boolean success, String errorMessage)
   at Act.Scheduler.SchedulerService.scheduler_ItemTriggered(String itemIdentity, Object triggerDateTime)

1. Isn't usually an issue... there was a problem connecting and it's only an issue if it keep happening
2. Can be a .Net Framework problem connecting to Outlook. If this always happen, I'd do a Detect and Repair and Outlook and a clean reinstall of ACT!
3. I think this would be because of the error in 2
4. This can happen from time to time. Only a problem if it always happens

As I suggested before, Handheld Contact would give a more "ACT! like" experience and avoid all of these issues

I agree with YOU Tara. We should NOT have to pay extra to sync ACT with one of the three most popular smart phone systems out there. Handheld Contact may be a beautiful solution but it costs MORE than ACT! Ridiculous, and NOT a solution. Companion Link really screwed up my records. When I update a record on the phone, the next time I sync it will add the name to ACT and DELETE the phone number. It does this every time. They are telling me I have a corrupt database. Well who corrupted it? I have received a lengthy email with a number of steps I need to take to address the issue. I am not optimistic, and I really am too busy to take a few hours to do this. New problem today, the ACT email crashed (NOT a new problem, happens frequently) but this time it erased all of my stored messages in my inbox and the two key folders that store correspondence about two major projects I'm working on. It apparently is all gone -- where did it go? The program is flawed and ACT apparently doesn't care. Upgrades that FIX the problems should be free. I will not be paying anything else in the hopes of fixing this. I have contacted Companion Link, I have posted in forums here, I have emailed "technical support" (which apparently doesn't exist because I have never received a response). My only alternative is to post a warning here. BEWARE of ACT. It is unstable and you WILL lose your data if you try to sync with a Blackberry.

I use ACT! and Handheld Contact and find it's great
How is it "NOT a solution"?
It works, and at less than a dollar a day, I have found it's worth the investment

Mike, I apologize for the personal attack in my extreme frustration. I was disappointed when I learned after purchasing ACT that it would not sync with my Blackberry. I thought it was short-sighted on ACT's part not to provide for this. I reluctantly shelled out another $50 for Companion Link and my experience with it has been a nightmare. I suspect the equally flawed Norton protection may somehow be playing a role in all of this, but ACT seems to have zero technical support. A solution is a real solution only when you can make an informed decision about the costs up front. I feel like I have been led along by a bait and switch ploy typical of a used car salesman. The Handheld Contact site is coy about the costs. I could not find out what it cost, if anything, until AFTER I had downloaded the program. (In fact, I thought for a few moments that ACT had done the right thing and the program was free.) The charge, in comparison to the cost of the software and the phone itself is outrageous. They certainly have the right to charge whatever they want, but they should be up front about it. I find this entire process frustrating, time-consuming, and not worth the trouble. ACT used to be a fine program, but 2007 is riddled with bugs. The email program crashes almost daily. The start-up joke is wearing thin -- it tells me I have to register the program (did that), and then it tells me I don't have the authority to register it. Then it opens up and runs normally. These issues are not what I expect from an industry leader. To charge me money for an upgrade that MIGHT fix the problem (but no guarantee) is no solution. To charge me MORE than the program costs for a simple method of getting information to my Blackberry is no solution. Looking at it another way, if I had been told from the beginning, "the software for your computer costs X and the program to connect it seamlessly with your Blackberry costs Y (with a monthly service charge)" I could have made an informed decision either to purchase or not. You can be sure that I will not make another purchase with SAGE unless and until I know the details about what I'm getting or not getting. Handheld Contact is no "solution" because it addresses a problem that should never have existed.

As a personal though, I'd prefer Sage spent their R&D on a better core product and add more functions I want to see... and let add-on developers do add-ons for people that need specific extras and charge what they need to.

Most of the better products do exactly this.

I will give ACT credit for attempting to fix my problems. As a result of my posts in these forums, a representative from ACT called me and helped my get back my lost emails, and took care of the registration message on startup. I would love to report that this solves my problems, but the email module has crashed again since that conversation and there is still no affordable solution for getting ACT data to my Blackberry. Again, I thank the people at ACT for their attempt to help.