Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Scheduler - Outlook Activity Synchronization for Blackberry

TJF

ACT Scheduler - Outlook Activity Synchronization for Blackberry

Our office uses ACT Premium 2007 (9.0). We recently purchased a Blackberry server and Blackberry Enterprise Server software that (in theory) allows all syncs to occur wirelessly in real time, rather than requiring cradling. The e-mail is working great. The calendar and activities require the use of ACT Scheduler for regular Outlook Activity Synchronization, but the ACT Scheduler must be manually reset each time the computer is restarted - for each person who has a Blackberry. Is there a way to make this occur automatically? Also, even though I've been using the two-way setting, not everything is moving from Outlook to ACT and from ACT to Outlook, and the problems seem to be different for each user. Our CEO sees everything entered from his Blackberry in ACT, but none of the items entered in ACT (by him or for him) show up on his Blackberry. One of our VPs scheduled something in ACT, it was visible in Outlook after a sync via Scheduler, then he later erased the appointment, but it never was taken off Outlook in later syncs via Scheduler. **As a result of these issues with Scheduler, I've also tried going to Tools - Outlook Activities - Update Activities - Two-Way for All Dates, and none of these "problem appointments" were resolved. What could be causing these ACT-generated calendar items to not sync with Outlook? After all of the expense purchasing the Enterprise Server + Software, we really don't want to have to buy additional software just to make the Blackberries work with ACT. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Scheduler - Outlook Activity Synchronization for Blackberry

The calendar and activities require the use of ACT Scheduler for regular Outlook Activity Synchronization, but the ACT Scheduler must be manually reset each time the computer is restarted

What do you mean by "manyally reset" what are you having to do?

After all of the expense purchasing the Enterprise Server + Software, we really don't want to have to buy additional software just to make the Blackberries work with ACT.

Seriously, you really should try Handheld Contact - the other methods will always have issues because ativies are not attached to the contacts. So changes made on the device will most likely not work properly
TJF

Mike,

Thank you for the response.

When I say manually reset, I'm referring to the difference (in my mind anyway) between how the e-mail and calendars function with regard to moving from ACT to Outlook and vice versa. This is probably an incorrect assumption on my part that these functions would work similarly, as I have only been using ACT the six months I have worked in this office. By reset I mean that rather than setting ACT Scheduler to do Outlook Activity Synchronization once and it just working for days, weeks, or months thereafter (as our synchronization for ACT e-mail with Outlook e-mail seems to), each time the PC restarts (typically daily), if we want the calendar items to continue to be shared between ACT and Outlook (which we do, otherwise, the Blackberry information will be out of date very quickly), I have to open ACT Scheduler, Edit the task, and set a new date and time for syncs to start. It doesn't take that long, but it does require someone to be in charge of that task, and get into the PCs in question at least every day. We have a small staff and limited IT support (me and a third-party offsite provider), so this isn't always as easy as it might sound.

I will look into Handheld Contact, but if what I've described above doesn't sound typical, I'd like to know that as well.

Thanks,

Tara Ford
Economic Development Assistant
Northern Kentucky Tri-ED

Copper Super Contributor

I agree Handheld contact is the best thing out there for blackberry wireless sync. They have a free trial on the site.
Jeremy Wesley
MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCSD, ACC, APT, A++
www.act.expert
Have you seen eXact Contacts? iPhone & iPad App that syncs directly with your Act! Database.

There is no connection between the way ACT! talks to Outlook for email and calendars.
Email is just a send, activities need to be synchronizied.

That being said, it sounds like the scheduler is stopping. Do you get any errors in the sync log?
Copper Contributor

With ACT! and Blackberry, the best solution is Handheld Contact.  www.handheldcontact.com

It's not worth trying the extra labor with the built-in ACT! tools.

TJF

Mark -

There have not been any errors listed in the sync log, it just stops syncing, even though on the left side of the Scheduler where you can start and stop service, it always indicates that service is turned on.

Tara Ford
Economic Development Assistant
Northern Kentucky Tri-ED

tjf wrote:
There have not been any errors listed in the sync log, it just stops syncing, even though on the left side of the Scheduler where you can start and stop service, it always indicates that service is turned on.

Tara,

Is the the Sync log or Scheduler log you checked?
TJF

It was the Scheduler log.
Copper Contributor

Tara: I recall in 10.00, there was a bug on the scheduler automating this process. Not sure if this was an issue in 9.0 or 9.01 as well. --- Yes, I understand the desire to not invest in additional software like Handheld Contact; but, I believe you will gain the productivity you seek. Like Mike said, even if you have all this working, the ACT! -> Outlook Calendar Exchange program does not bring over complete contact details anyway. Compare your results, EVEN if you get the automation to work.. With the built-in BES Server setup and ACT! working as designed... In the Calendar, Outlook says ***Scheduled w. Mark Mondo*** I get no contact info or anything. ACT! does not sync its contact names' details to Outlook's Contacts area. === In Handheld Contact, it looks like ACT! - It shows a meeting scheduled with Mark Mondo. Then, I can link to his record, see notes (option), and I can reschedule on the fly just like Blackberry Enterprise Server with a standard OUtlook implementation. -- They offer a free trial. The risk is a few minutes to set it up. Mark