Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Scheduler - Failed to log into the database

Tuned Listener

ACT Scheduler - Failed to log into the database

Good morning. 

We are running ACT v11 Premium on a simple peer-to-peer network running XP Pro, and are having problems with using ACT Scheduler.
Act is loaded on the C: drive on a PC (our "server") and the ACT database resides in a directory on drive F: of that same PC (due to space limitations on the C: drive).  We have several users that access this ACT database across the network.

We back up our data directory on drive F: to another PC on the network daily, and wish to do the same with our ACT database (on Drive FSmiley Happy.  We can not get Scheduler to back up across the network, so we wish to use Scheduler to create a zip file which we will then back up across the network with our other data.

The initial Act Scheduler back up setup seemed to work (backing up to the C: drive):

========SCHEDULER SESSION - 10/10/2008 10:07:23 PM ========
Start Date/Time: 10/10/2008 10:04:03 PM
Database: Hill_Assoc
User Name: bonnie
Machine Name: \\\\HILLSERVER
Type of Event: Backup with Attachments.
Task Frequency: Daily, every weekday(M-F)
Result: Task Completed
Errors: None
Backup Filename and Path: C:\\Documents and Settings\\Bonnie Hill.HILLSERVER\\My Documents\\ACT\\ACT forWindows 11\\Backup\\ACT! Hill_Assoc 3b1f0a87507e4f0cb22938541f585318 2008-10-10 22-04-19.zip

Our attempts to back up across the network back up did not work and generated the following error:

========SCHEDULER SESSION - 11/4/2008 12:07:23 AM ========
Start Date/Time: 11/4/2008 12:00:00 AM
Database: Hill_Assoc
User Name: bonnie
Task Frequency: Daily, every 1 days
Result: Task Not Completed
Errors: Failed to log into the database. Access to the path '\\\\Frontofficepc\\c\\HILL-ACT-BACKUP\\ACT! Hill_Assoc 3b1f0a87507e4f0cb22938541f585318 2008-11-04 00-00-01.zip' is denied.
Backup Filename and Path: \\\\Frontofficepc\\c\\HILL-ACT-BACKUP\\ACT! Hill_Assoc.zip

When we try to back up the database to the F: drive (where the database resides), we get the following error:

========SCHEDULER SESSION - 11/23/2008 11:45:54 PM ========
Start Date/Time: 11/23/2008 10:00:00 PM
Database: HillAssoc
User Name: Bonnie
Task Frequency: Daily, every 1 days
Result: Task Not Completed
Errors: Failed to log into the database. An IO exception occurred while reading from or writing to the zip file.
Type: Xceed.Zip.ZipArchive
FullName: \\
Zip file: C:\\WINDOWS\\TEMP\\tmp65.tmp
Backup Filename and Path: F:\\ACTHILLDB\\HillAssoc-database files\\Backup\\ACT! HillAssoc.zip

We have had two different local ACT consultants look at the problem, but we have no answers.  A suggested PC consultant could not explain the I/O error or find any related problems.  Other than the Scheduler error, we've never had any I/O issues.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.  By the way, I have no idea how the smiley images got in here or how to get rid of them

Tom  

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Scheduler - Failed to log into the database

Are you able to backup to this location manually (File/Backup)?  Have you tried backing up to a different directory or drive?  This sounds like a permissions issue or possiblly a read/write error (as suggested by the I/O exception).

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: ACT Scheduler - Failed to log into the database

I know this is an old thread, but this may help others in search of a solution.

My experience with this exact error was that my temp file would increase, causing my disk to run out of space.  I freed up additional space on my drive and the backup worked correctly (manual and automatic).