Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Scheduler Backups Fail

ACT! Scheduler Backups Fail

[ Edited ]

Hi,

We've got a problem with the ACT! Scheduler. For some reason the backups fail to run. We have 4 databases, each set to backup once a week, at 6pm on separate nights (database 1 on Monday, database 2 on Tuesday etc). After checking on Fiday, we noticed the backups hadn't run for a month.

I've checked each of the backup settings, and it all seems to be OK, I did manage to get 1 backup to run on Friday, after recreating it, but that failed with the following error in the log. Since then, I can't get any backups to run, existing, or new, and even after rescheduling the backups to run 2 minutes from the current time, it just doesn't run, there is nothing in the log files to suggest why its not running!

========SCHEDULER SESSION - 12/06/2009 15:58:35 ========
Start Date/Time: 12/06/2009 15:57:00
Database: Interim
User Name: backup.user
Machine Name: \\WEBSVR
Type of Event: Backup
Task Frequency: Weekly, every 1 weeks on Friday
Result: Task Not Completed
Errors: Failed to log into the database. Access to the path '\\server1.domain.com\marketing\ACT\ACT Back Up\Latest\ACT! Interim 12-06-2009 15-57-01.zip' is denied.
Backup Filename and Path: \\server1.domain.com\marketing\ACT\ACT Back Up\Latest\ACT! Interim.zip

We're using ACT! Premium for Web 2007 (9.0) Version 9.0.1.162 - hotfix 3.

Any help, or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Ben

EDIT: I've noticed that the C: drive free space was getting low, so I looked through the drive, and found several 1GB .tmp files under C:\Documents and Settings\SageUser\Local Settings\Temp. The last of these was dated the same as Friday's backup, so I assume the backup is partitally running, creating t .tmp file, then falling over when it can't write any more data.

So I've deleted these files, and now have 5GB free on the C drive, but when running the backup again, I see that its creating another 1.4GB .tmp file in the directory, even though our ACT! database isn't anywhere near this size. Looking through the database folder, I see there is a 'Backup' folder, with loads of .BAK files, each one is about 130mb+, which is around the same size as our database, each .BAK file is stamped with the date of a backup. I assume the ACT! Scheduler backup is backup up these previous backups as well? I don't see why it needs to do this! Is it a bug?

I've deleted the .BAK files from the 'ACT\Database\Backup' folder, and re-run a backup, this time it create a much smaller .tmp file in the 'C:\Documents and Settings\SageUser\Local Settings\Temp' folder, now only 188mb, rather than 1.4GB, however, it still doesn't seem to do anything with this file once its been created! I scheduled a backup to run at 09:40am, the file was last modified at 09:46am, the time now is 09:55am, and the ACT! scheduler isn't doing anything - there is no error in the log, no last run time or last result displayed in the scheduler!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Ben

Message Edited by bjblackmore on 06-15-2009 02:42 AM

Re: ACT! Scheduler Backups Fail

OK, I've managed to get the scheduler to run again, after re-installing ACT! and rebooting. However, the backup still fails with the errors below, I've tried both mapped drive & UNC path:

========SCHEDULER SESSION - 15/06/2009 15:56:27 ========
Start Date/Time: 15/06/2009 15:55:00
Database: Company_contacts_v9
User Name: ACT.USER
Task Frequency: Weekly, every 1 weeks on Monday
Errors: Failed to log into the database. Access to the path '\\server1.domain.com\marketing\ACT\ACT Back Up\ACT! Company_contacts_v9 15-06-2009 15-55-03.zip' is denied.
Backup Filename and Path: \\server1.domain.com\marketing\ACT\ACT Back Up\ACT! Company_contacts_v9.zip

========SCHEDULER SESSION - 15/06/2009 15:47:25 ========
Start Date/Time: 15/06/2009 15:46:00
Database: Company_contacts_v9
User Name: ACT.USER
Task Frequency: Weekly, every 1 weeks on Monday
Errors: Failed to log into the database. Could not find a part of the path 'M:\ACT\ACT Back Up\ACT! Company_contacts_v9 15-06-2009 15-46-02.zip'.
Backup Filename and Path: M:\ACT\ACT Back Up\ACT! Company_contacts_v9.zip

Right, I've got the scheduler to perform a full backup of our database. The re-installation of ACT! had reset the Scheduler service logon account to local system, rather than the account given access to the share on the server.

However, even though I now have a full backup I've noticed 2 things wrong with the scheduler service.

1. It leaves the large .BAK files in ACT\databases\Backup which then get backed up again and again after each backup. Having performed 2 test backups this afternoon, the final backup ended up 188mb in size, where as it should be 131mb.

2. The Scheduler service isn't reporting a successful backup, there is nothing in the log file, the 'Last Executed' field is blank and 'Last Result' shows as 'Not completed'.

I'd really like to get this solved, especially the first issue, as we have limited space, and can't have backups which keep doubling in size everytime they run!

Ben

Right, 5 out of 6 databases backed up last night. Still getting the large .BAK files left in the Backup folder, but managed to fix the log file problem - had to give the service account (which isn't local service but a domain service account), modify access to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Web\SCHEDULER_LOG.xml".

So, the database that didn't backup: The Scheduler service is running, and its creating a 0kb .tmp file under the accounts temp folder, but then it doesn't get any bigger. The error log now shows the error, but I have no idea why its not running as it should. Error is:

========SCHEDULER SESSION - 16/06/2009 11:00:01 ========
Start Date/Time: 16/06/2009 11:00:00
Database: Resources
User Name: act.user
Task Frequency: Weekly, every 1 weeks on Tuesday
Errors: Failed to log into the database. Cannot open backup device '\\WEBSVR\Resources-database files1\Backup\\WEBSVR_Resources_D20090616T110001.BAK'. Operating system error 5(error not found).
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
PRC_MAINT_BACKUPDB: ERROR EXECUTING DATABASE BACKUP STATEMENT

Backup Filename and Path: \\server1.domain.com\marketing\ACT\ACT Back Up\ACT! Resources.zip

Firstly, I don't know why its trying to open the database from the 'Resources-database files1' folder, it should have the '1' on the end, the database path is just 'Resources-database files', this is the path both ACT! for Web and ACT! for Workgroups both open.

Secondly, I don't know why its trying to open the temporary BAK file 'WEBSVR_Resources_D20090616T110001.BAK' this file doesn't exist under the Backup folder.

How can I change the path/stop it from looking for the BAK file?

Thanks

Ben

Right, now I have everything working as it should, had to fiddle with some user permissions, and un-share the database, then re-share it!

Firstly un-sharing the database from with in the ACT! Premium for Web application, and removing any other shares (databasename-files and databasename-files1) on that folder from Windows Explorer. Then re-share the database from with in ACT! for Web.

Secondly, when the ACT! Scheduler create the .BAK temp files under database\backup it only gives local admin group full control/modify permissions, even though the service is running as a domain account, that account doesn't have any permissions over the files it JUST created. Therefore it can't delete the .BAK files once its created the .zip files on the network share, this leads to multiple .BAK files being created, and backed up everytime the scheduler runs. I had to add the ACT service account into the local administrators group, so it has enough permissions to be able to delete its own .BAK files. Once I did this, I re-ran the backup, and it created the backup successfully, deleted its own temporary files, wrote to the log file, and marked the status as complete!

A bit of a cufuffle to say the least! 

Ben