Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Running slow and not responding: Version string portion was too short or too long

ACT! Running slow and not responding: Version string portion was too short or too long

Hi there,

I'm being frustrated by the following ERROR MESSAGE when trying to log-in to ACT!

We are sharing a Database locally and although the error message refers to SQL server (when Google'd)  

I'm wondering if this could have been caused by SAGE ACT! Installation.  (This being the last software installed on PC)

Version string portion was too short or too long

It would be great to hear back from you guys.

Thanks.

Mick

Re: ACT! Running slow and not responding: Version string portion was too short or too long

Additional info:

running Windows 7

The Laptop in question is the HOST computer of the ACT! Database used locally.

The other WORK STATION is able to LOG in and make changes to ACT! database etc.

Re: ACT! Running slow and not responding: Version string portion was too short or too long

This has got to be a registry issue...

but I'm not sure how to ammend/fix.

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thank you

Mick

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello 555mk555,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Just to verify: the error is occurring when signing into the database on the computer that hosts the database. Logging in from another computer doesn't have the issue. Correct?

If that is correct, the install of SQL appears to be ok - both computers would be using the install of SQL local to the database.

Have you tried logging into the database on the host computer with the 'other' user name?

Have you tried logging into the database from the other computer with your user name?

These tests will help isolate the issue - to either user specific or ACT! installation specific. If the issue only occurs on the host machine with both user names, then an uninstall/re-install of ACT! may resolve the problem.

Also check the Windows Event Viewer for additional error messages.
Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg, thanks for the reply.

We only have 1 user name.

We don't use the software simutaniously.

We only log in one the Laptop (Host Computer)

and when we're in the office, we log into the 2nd Workstation, using the 1 user account that we have.

Re-install of ACT! should be quite simple right?

What about the SQL servers?

I found a thread online that indicated .NET registry. 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/2b1c25cf-35e5-4f58-9e21-7c74...

Further feedback super apreciated,.

Thanks.

Mick

Mick,
It very well could be a .NET issue, hopefully the Event Viewer can provide more specific errors.

Since you can access the database from a different computer using the same user name without the error, the install of SQL appears to be fine.

I would try uninstall/re-install of ACT! first. Should be fairly easy - just uninstall and reinstall, test.

If an uninstall/re-install doesn't resolve it, look to other environmental factors such as .NET.
Greg Martin
Sage

Is there a way of checking the .NET before re-install of ACT!?

Just in case the issue can be indicated there?

I'm not even sure how to check for .NET.  Is there a tutorial you can forward me to or can you elaborate on how to check the .NET   

Thanks for your support btw.  #amazing

Mick

The first place to look for .NET errors is the Windows Event Viewer.  A utility provided by Microsoft can also be used to identify issues with .NET; it can be found at: MS AaronStebner WebBlog.

Depending on your computer operating system and version of ACT!, there are different ways to handle the uninstall/reinstall of .NET.  Unfortunately fixing .NET is outside of our support areas (other Community members can certainly offer suggestions for fixing .NET) so I can't really get into troubleshooting .NET errors.  If it is an XP, you can uninstall through Add and Remove Programs.  It would then be reinstalled through Windows Updates.  If it is Vista/Windows 7, it can be removed through the Programs and Featuers/Windows Features option.  Uninstall is done by re-enabling and/or Windows Updates.

For troublesome .NET installs, on the Aaron Stebner webblog, there is a utility to completely remove .NET (should you need it): MS Aaron Stebner .NET Cleanup Utility

So, those are some factors for why I like to suggest the reinstall of ACT! as the first step.  It verifies the install of ACT! before attempting possibly complicated fixes.

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi again,

ok.  I think I will reinstall ACT!

I'm running Win7 and latest version of ACT!  (I believe it;s 14)

IS there anything I should bare in mind when reinstalling ACT! (obviously a back-up of database will be made)

Will the current location of ACT! attached Docs be affected? i.e. will the ACT! folder be overwritten or will it make a duplicate folder or automatically make this the default folder?

Thanks for a great support.

Mick

Just thinking, since this computer specific - try these 2 steps first:

1. Create a new database and open it.  Does it also get the same message?

2. Although I haven't seen this error associated with them, try deleting the Sage ACT! preference files first.  They will be rebuilt when you open the database.  Use the section titled 'Alternate Option: Manually Rebuilding Preferences' in this article:  KB Article 14770

If the new database receives the error and rebuilding preferences doesn't resolve it, continue with uninstall/re-install.

The uninstall shouldn't affect your database at all (if saved in 'Documents' path), the other computer will even be able to continue accessing it, but it is always a GREAT idea to have the backup!

For background information:

- Does the error prevent you from opening the database on the host computer, or does it present itself and then allow you in?

- Has Sage ACT! ever worked without the error on the host computer?

Glad to help - hopefully this will fix it... the next step will involve .NET.

Greg Martin
Sage