Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Remote databases location

ACT! Remote databases location

Hello All,

I am very new to ACT (v17) and have a question about remote databases. I took over the ACT server from a former employee that left no documentation. I have been asked to make some databases changes and that part I understand. Each user has their own remote database but the location of the remote database differs. Some users have the remote database on their laptop while others have them on the server on a network share. Does the location of the remote database matter?  

Thanks - Ryan 

Administrator

Re: ACT! Remote databases location

Hi Ryan,

I'm slightly confused by your question.

When you say some users have remote databases on the server on a network share, what exactly do you mean by this? Are these users accessing the main database on the server via a shared database?

Remote databases are different to shared databases. Remote databases should, in most cases, exist on the local machine, and have their changes synced periodically to the master database. Shared databases are stored on the server and are connected to over the network, so changes occur in real time without the need for synchronization.
Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi

Am reading this as some remotes on their laptops that sync while others use a remote desktop to access the main database. In fact to answer your question it does not matter. Any changes you make on the database will be see at  once by anyone directly connected however that is and anyone using a syncing remote database will see the changes after syncing.

Hope that helps. 

Thank you both for the responses. I assumed that it would be best for the remote database to be saved on the users PC but was confused why some were on a network share to be accessed. Maybe it was setup that way for some unknown reason. 

Thanks - Ryan