Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Publisher SQL Server crashed, can we restore from subscriber?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT Publisher SQL Server crashed, can we restore from subscriber?

Hi Folks,

Had a bit of a crash of the big raid array in our VM server this afternoon, and after reinstalling SQL Server and Act to fix the errors in the master database, I find that our four ACT DB's are also somewhat hosed.  (Although i can at least load the the ones we sync offsiet, they just have lots of broken indexes, etc).

Im' going to try restoring from last night's backups, then re-run the transaction logs, but if I get stuck, I'm wondering if i can simply restore from our remote subscribers? (We have DB's for AU, Ireland, UK, and New Zealand, which sync to their own local servers, and are then shared out to the staff there.  AU is the local DB, sharing out to all the staff in the AU office, with no remote subscribers).  Since all the other sites will have a whole day of newer data than what's in the backups, i'd rather just restore from them if I can..

Is that possible??

Thanks,

Damien

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author iconbg
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Publisher SQL Server crashed, can we restore from subscriber?

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author iconbg
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Fantastic, Thanks Mike! My google-fu was failing hard on that one!

Ouch copy back and foward for each, it's gonna be a LONG night, moving all that across the world! Still, better than losing three days! The AU guys are going to be screaming loudly in the morning when they find they have to re-enter all their sales for Monday!

Yeah, we backup at 7pm Mon/Tue/Wed/Thur/Fri Nights..  So I've now restoring .au to Friday night, argh!.  Couldn't mount the database with the .ldf file from today - it just didn't want to happen.. Must be a very buggered log file, or Act uses a slightly different format to what SQL Server usually uses, as I've never really had a problem attaching a newer log file to a backup of 'normal' SQL server databases!

Set up the ACT! Scheduler to run backups every day ... or twice a day

And, you can rebuild the log file by attaching the ADF from ACTDIAG without the log

Ahh, see, I wanted to do it the other way.. Attach the backed up .adf, with the current .alf..  (aka use the older database, but with a current transaction log file, so it'll bring the older database up to current..)

I haven't tried that but, if possible, would probably need to be done through SQL management ... not ACT!
Silver Contributor

Ok, i'm late to this thread, but if your sql crashed, you could move to another machine and just move the publisher database?

Can you confirm? Are your databases broken? or just that ACT won't run on the server?

If your database is broken, you can make a new master out of a remote, but you would have to import any orphaned data and then recut remotes.

If sql is just broken, i'd move the master to another machine and point the remotes to the new server.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider