Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Pro - Cannot create local database; SQL is not installed locally.

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT! Pro - Cannot create local database; SQL is not installed locally.

I've just installed Act! Pro Version 16.1.207.0, Hot Fix 1 on a new Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials

I'm unable to either create a new database, getting error: Cannot create local database; SQL is not installed locally.

I'm also unable to open my exisiting previous database, getting error: The database you are connecting to needs to be updated.  Please contact your administrator.

Attempted to run ActDiag.exe from the program folder

Error: Could not connect to the SQL Server Instance.

Attempted to run SQL Server Diagnostics tool from ActDiag menu - failed - error: the server was not found or was not accessible

Currently has Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2, Native Client, Server Browser, Server VSS Writer installed and all SQL services are set to Automatic. 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ggtadmin
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! Pro - Cannot create local database; SQL is not installed locally.

Refer the Knowledge Base Article

How to Manually Create the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 (Express Edition) ACT7 Instance

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26994/kw/install%20sql%20instance%20only/related/1 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Is the ACT7 SQL instance running?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

No.

If I launch the ActDaig, Error: Could not connect to the SQL Server Instance.

If I go to Tools- Stop/Start SQL Service- Start it comes back with error: Service MSSQL$ACT7 was not found on computer

Platinum Elite Contributor

That sounds like you did an install and chose not to install SQL which among other things creates the ACT7 instance of SQL.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I'll uninstall/reinstall it. I did the default  installation the first time. Guess I'll make sure that the SQL server is selected this time.

Thanks.

So I completely uninstalled ACT!, rebooted, reinstalled (verified that the option for SQL server is selected by going to custom installation), verified that the installation stated that it was installing the SQL server and attaching the demo database, rebooted server, same results. No different.

Any ideas?

Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Can you open Act!Diag at the server i.e. on the server console itself not through rdp? 

Graeme Leo

Here is the error message I get when opening ActDiag

---------------------------

Could not connect to the SQL Server Instance.

Click OK to continue anyway, Cancel to close.
OK Cancel

I Click OK to continue ... 

Error listed at the bottom of the ActDiag window ... 

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, Boolean withFailover)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, TimeoutTimer timeout, Boolean withFailover)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, TimeoutTimer timeout)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(TimeoutTimer timeout, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString userConnectionOptions, SessionData reconnectSessionData)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpenInner(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
at ActDiag.Common.GetSAPassword()
at ActDiag.Common.GetSAConnection()
at ActDiag.ServerInfo.ߺ()
at ActDiag.ServerInfo.߶()
at ActDiag.ServerInfo.߻(Object Ԗ, EventArgs ԗ)
at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value)
at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.ֻ()
at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.։(Object Ԗ, EventArgs ԗ)
ClientConnectionId:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

Bronze Elite Contributor

On the server,  in services, (services.msc)  do you see the Act! SQL server instance installed and is it running? 

Graeme Leo

No. There is no instance, hence all the error messages.