Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Premium v18 SQL instance not installed

ACT Premium v18 SQL instance not installed

[ Edited ]

Our users machines have a SQLEXPRESS instance in SQL 2008 R2 on their machines already.

When I install ACT it appears to make no attempt to install SQL at all. It is proving to be a major annoyance having to manually create the instance every time.

Is there an updated installer available?

Thanks

Re: ACT Premium v18 SQL instance not installed

Apologies, looks like I have posted in wrong forum, can a moderator move please?

***BUMP***

Anybody?

Hi there, do you mean that before you install Act! you already have an instance of SQL 2008 Express installed on the machine? Is this an Act! instance (i.e. you're performing an upgrade?). Upgrades do not install a new instance they would upgrade the existing instance instead.

Hi Steven, thanks for the reply. No the existing instance is not an ACT7 instance. It is the default SQLEXPRESS instance used for some other software.

The installer does not error out and I can find no errors in the event log. SO far as I can tell the SQL install is not attempted. My understanding is that the installer checks for a registry key to determine if the ACT instance exists and that key does not exist.

Thanks for that, if it is just the default instance, have you tried uninstalling SQL before installing Act!? If there are no errors that would seem to suggest that Act! thinks it is already installed.

This may be unlikely, but by any chance are you trying to install Act! v18 on a Windows XP machine at all?

No not using XP!

I have tested removing the existing SQLEXPRESS instance and installing ACT and in this scenario it installs correctly.

This leads me to think that there is a bug in the installer causing it to incorrectly think there is an existing ACT instance.

I've checked to see if this is a known issue and can't find any information on it, so it may be something related to that specific instance in your environment, though I would agree it could be a problem in the SQL installer itself.