Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Premium for the Web 2008 Importing Contacts from Excel

ACT! Premium for the Web 2008 Importing Contacts from Excel

I'm trying to import data from an excel spreadsheet into ACT! Premium for the web 2008. Ive formatted it to txt (tab) but can't seem to get the data over. Can anyone give me a step by step process on how to do this? Thanks!
Nickel Contributor

Re: ACT! Premium for the Web 2008 Importing Contacts from Excel

Firstly, use common column headers in Excel before converting it to a TXT file.

Secondly, click FILE, IMPORT, and the Import Wizard will appear.

Thirdly, change the Import Data type to TEXT DELIMITED, and the click browse to navigate and find the file you intend to import.

Click NEXT

The "Type" of records you'll be importing are Contacts, so click NEXT again.

The next import option allows you to select which type of TXT file you intend to import, Comma or Tab (I believe you indicated Tab). Do not worry about getting this part wrong, because you can always go back.

If you've used column headers like I suggested, make sure the "Import first record" checkbox is cleared.

Click past the "pre-defined maps" section.

And then complete the field mappings. If you named your column headers properly, ACT! will accurately guess most of the mapping for you.

Then complete the process.

One suggestion I give all my clients is to create "Referred by" column in Excel before importing, and populate this column with "Imported on MM/DD/YYYY" (substituting the actualy date, of course). This will allow you easily look up the contacts contained in this import at a later date.

Good luck.

Kq\

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Platinum Elite Contributor

Importing needs to be done on the server or a full ACT! client connected on a LAN.
Nickel Contributor

As Mike's answer suggests, I may have misunderstood the original question.

He is correct, though, in that you cannot import from a web console with ACT! Premium for Web (APFW). All such functions have to be completed through the Windows version of ACT!.

No administrative functions like managing users, importing contacts, changing the schema of the database or importing records, are available through the web portion of the APFW application.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca