Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Premium for Workgroups 2008 (ST) - Incompatible with MS Small Business Server 2003??

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT! Premium for Workgroups 2008 (ST) - Incompatible with MS Small Business Server 2003??

We are upgrading from ACT! 6.0 to ACT! Premium for Workgroups 2008 (ST). We are also upgrading our network server and were going to use MS Small Business Server 2003 but an ACT! Consultant is telling us that the two do not work well together and that we are asking for problems. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience to that effect?

Also, we're being told that we need a separate ACT! server. We're a company of only 10 people with a fairly small database and simply want remote access to ACT! Do we really need a separate server?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author pat_ebs
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: ACT! Premium for Workgroups 2008 (ST) - Incompatible with MS Small Business Server 2003??

Thanks Mike. That's what I'm finding out - it's really a resource issue, not a compatibility issue. Since we're buying new hardware and we're only a small group of users, I would think that purchasing a Quad Core high end processor server with 4 GB RAM and limiting ACT's resource load would work out fine for us rather than getting a separate box just for ACT. We can always do that later.

Thanks to all who contributed. I consider this issue solved!

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: ACT! Premium for Workgroups 2008 (ST) - Incompatible with MS Small Business Server 2003??

[ Edited ]

I have done an install onto SBS 2003 and havent had any problems. 

If you feel you are not getting the correct advise from your ACT consultant, please feel free to email me and I will try and assist you.

Message Edited by wayne_lockey on 05-28-2008 11:36 PM
Copper Contributor

Thanks Wayne. I'm not sure if they are giving good advice or not honestly.The reason we want SBS is because Exchange is included and we are setting up our systems to be able to have people login to their email remotely. If SBS is not the way to go, I will simply buy MS Server 2003 and use internet email througfh our ISP. Not a big deal because there's only 8 employees.

Do you have ACT setup on a separate server or is it on the same server with your company's other business software. Are you running Exchange for email? Do your employees access ACT remotely?

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Pat McCabe

Nickel Elite Contributor

I have clients that are using SBS 2003 without any problems. The main reason that SBS 2003 can cause problems is the Exchange Server. The Exchange Server is a resource hog and can cause problems with the ACT! program because the ACT! program demands a lot of resources. I think the reason some people have problems with SBS 2003 is the use the Exchange server but have somewhat limited system resources. I hope this information helps clarify things so that you can make an informed decision.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

The main issue is Exchange (part of SBS).

Exchange takes all available RAM it can with no way to limit it, and this can cause performance issues with ACT!

If you have a decent server with plenty of RAM, you might not notice it with only 10 users as Exchange won't be too busy ... if the performance becomes and issue, then yo might look at a seperate server or even simply more RAM and VMWare to seperate the RAM for ACT!

You can also use ACTDIAG to set a min RAM to reserve for ACT!

Solution
Accepted by topic author pat_ebs
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Thanks Mike. That's what I'm finding out - it's really a resource issue, not a compatibility issue. Since we're buying new hardware and we're only a small group of users, I would think that purchasing a Quad Core high end processor server with 4 GB RAM and limiting ACT's resource load would work out fine for us rather than getting a separate box just for ACT. We can always do that later.

Thanks to all who contributed. I consider this issue solved!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Try and get fast hard drives (10,000 RPM if possible) - more important than the processor with small numbers of users

Or maybe use the old server for ACT!?

Copper Contributor

Ahh! Good thinking! I will take your advice Mike!
Tuned Listener

Is there a better choice than server 2003? I am just getting started here. I just loaded 2003, but if I need to go with a different software then. I heard http://www.linux.org/ is awesome, but is it awesome for ACT Premium for Workgroups?