Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Premium for Workgroups 2007, Outlook 2000 and using ACT E-mail for viewing/composing, etc.

psk

ACT Premium for Workgroups 2007, Outlook 2000 and using ACT E-mail for viewing/composing, etc.

I haven't seen this particular problem here before and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have this on a Network with 8 users logging in to a shared database.

When initially setting up ACT to work with Outlook 2000, based on recommendations by our ACT consultant, we chose the use Outlook for viewing/composing/etc option, added the ACT address book to Outlook Services, etc and set it up that way on everyone's computers.  What we then found out is that EVERY email we sent out of Outlook attached itself to a contact if it was in the ACT database. Without clicking buttons or anything. Not bad for actual customer emails, but horrendous for interoffice emails - we had lunch invitations, bad jokes, just the day to day crud you constantly send back and forth attaching itself in ACT!  Not good. Took up a lot of space and had some major potential for people seeing things they really shouldn't.

So we removed the ACT address book from services in Outlook, went back in to everyone's computers and changed it so that it used ACT email for viewing/composing, etc but still went out via MS Outlook 2000.  Worked great - for a while. You'd be in ACT, click on the email address, the program would open, the email would pop up, you'd write it and it'd attach itself like a proper little email should.

Then computers started getting upgraded as they died. Swear I set them all up the same way as the old ones had - same operating system (XP Pro Service pack 2), Office 2000 (w/all the updates), ACT! Premium for Workgroups 2007 (9.0) (EX Edition) Version 9.0.1.162, Hotfix 1--Except that now it will NOT allow users to email out of ACT when set up the same way it was before (I took screen prints - I know it was set up the same way). 

So unless we want to set up users so that all the crap they send out daily attaches itself to the ACT database, my users are having to use Outlook to send emails to customers and then cutting and pasting them into the ACT database - not terribly productive.

When I called tech support, after waiting on hold for 20 minutes or so, I was told that ACT didn't recommend using the ACT email program for viewing / composing, etc - that the recommended way was the Outlook, set up the ACT address book, etc. and deal with the detritus that attached itself to users by deleting it on a regular basis.  Not really acceptable to my boss.  So I pressed for a way to do it the way we wanted to - and was told that there was probably a setting in my computer (by now the only one in the building still working using ACT email) that was different than how every one else's newer computer was set up.  When asked if they could help me isolate what that mysterious setting might be I was told no, it'd take too long and there were too many variables.

So, here I am, hoping you all might be able to provide me with some place to start looking.   Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to put as much detail in it as possible in the hopes that someone might recognize the issue and have a solution.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Premium for Workgroups 2007, Outlook 2000 and using ACT E-mail for viewing/composing, etc.

psk wrote:

I haven't seen this particular problem here before and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have this on a Network with 8 users logging in to a shared database.

When initially setting up ACT to work with Outlook 2000, based on recommendations by our ACT consultant, we chose the use Outlook for viewing/composing/etc option, added the ACT address book to Outlook Services, etc and set it up that way on everyone's computers.  What we then found out is that EVERY email we sent out of Outlook attached itself to a contact if it was in the ACT database. Without clicking buttons or anything. Not bad for actual customer emails, but horrendous for interoffice emails - we had lunch invitations, bad jokes, just the day to day crud you constantly send back and forth attaching itself in ACT!  Not good. Took up a lot of space and had some major potential for people seeing things they really shouldn't.

Another option is to remove the email addresses from the ACT! user records so it won't attach thos. Then you can use Outlook as normal and manually attach emails to user records when necessary.