Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Premium for Web on a Vista Home Premium?

Copper Contributor

ACT! Premium for Web on a Vista Home Premium?

Hi

Is it possible to use ACT! Premium for Web on a Vista Home Premium computer hosting the database without havingto upgrade to Ultimate?

I was wondering what exactly Vista Business & Ultimate have that APFW uses that I couldn't somehow download and add to my Vista Home Premium to enable me to use APFW with it.

Is installing a new OS or upgrading the only way? cheapest ugrade I can find is £130 -_-

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! Premium for Web on a Vista Home Premium?

ACT! Premium for Web 11.0 cannot be installed on Vista Home Pemium as we found that the IIS functionality in the OS does not appear to be as complete as IIS on Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate versions of Vista. 

For this reason, the installation routine will exit out messaging that the OS in incompatible with ACT! Premium for Web 2009 (11.0).

thanks,

-Matt

Matthew McFadden
Platinum Elite Contributor

Matt,

Just for interest, the main things missing in IIS on Home Premium are

• Windows Authentication - would this prevent the ASP imersonation account being created?
  • Digest Authentication
  • Client Certificate Mapping Authentication
  • IIS Client Certificate Mapping Authentication
  • ODBC Logging
  • FTP Server
  • Max of 3 simultaneous connections

See http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/479/iis-70-features-and-vista-editions/

So, to understand correctly, if I have a PC running Vista Ultimate (I do) and I want to use the newest version of Act! Premium for Web (I do), I'm out of luck?

Bronze Elite Contributor

There may be some confusion here. ACT! Premium for Web is generally hosted (installed) on a server or dedicated workstation so that ACT! is made available (published) to clients (users) via the Internet. The clients access ACT! Premium for Web using Internet Explorer. As clients, there is no installation of ACT! Premium for Web on their machines. So if the question is "Can I log onto ACT! Premium for Web using Internet Explorer from my Vista Ultimate machine?", then the answer is Yes.  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Platinum Elite Contributor

You can also (if you need to) install the server on Ultimate... but not on Home