Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Premium for Web 2009 Client Timeout

ACT! Premium for Web 2009 Client Timeout

We are experiencing a very frustrating problem.  When using the web client, the session is disconnected after a short period of inactivity.  The timeout session is set to 6 hours in Web Administration on server and config file shows correct info (360 minutes) and IIS has been restarted several times.  We have contacted tech support repeatedly and then we were instructed to make changes in several places in IIS where other timeout periods exist.  All were set for 3 hours or more and yet the problem persists.  The user is connected then after a period of inactivity (as little as a half hour) when a command is executed, instead of it being carried out a fresh logon screen appears (original screen still there) prompting the user to logon again.  If you attempt to logon, it is unsuccessful.  The only remedy is to close both windows and then start a new session.  I'm starting to believe this is a bug.  Anyone who can provide insight?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! Premium for Web 2009 Client Timeout

[ Edited ]

I have seen on some systems where setting the timeout value too high may cause a problem, as the web resources get used up from the all the open connections and the timeout errors occur.  You may want to lower the timeout setting in the website adminstrator to 30 minutes.  If that works out, then you can increase to 1 hour.

Also make sure your users are properly logging out of the web database, by clicking the "Log Out" button instead of just closing the web browser or tab.

Message Edited by ghollister on 01-26-2009 11:08 AM

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks for your reply.  However, I am somewhat perplexed by your response.  The database we are accessing has just been set up (converted from an earlier ACT! verison).  There are very few users and none when I do my testing.  The option in Web Administration supports a maximum timeout period of 12 hours.  Why is this option even there if as you suggest we should try 30 minutes or 1 hour and "see if it works".  We are running the application on a brand new high powered server with almost no one accessing the server for this application or any other application at present (we are ramping up so that will change soon).

I the setting wasn't there, I wouldn't be arguing this so strongly and I would simply accept that there are appropriate built in time constraints to ensure efficient use of resources and possibly to address potential security reasons.  This would be a logical explanation.  But if this is a bug, meaning that this is a feature that is supposed to work but doesn't work as advertised, I would much rather that Sage be forthright about it so that I can instruct my clients to use the application differently than they have been doing thus far.  This would minimize their frustration and my disallusionment with the quality of the product.

Good day,

Have you ever gotten a solution to this? We are experiencing similar issues. When is user is actively using the web version she gets the timeout prompts. Is this a bug in the application that Sage has addressed? She may also get it multiple times in a row and it is becoming a nuisance now.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Loyal Listener

My users have experienced the exact same problem with the timeout set at 3 hours. Curiously, I've never experienced this while logged in as SA, even for an extended period of time.

Is there any resolution to this yet besides lowering the timeout, which I don't consider a resolution at all?

We are also experiencing the same issue, but not all users experience it, has anyone resolved this issue yet?