Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Premium Web 12.1 / Terminal Server Issues

Nickel Elite Contributor

ACT! Premium Web 12.1 / Terminal Server Issues

Have ACT! by Sage Premium for Web 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1 installed on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard at a client site.  ACT! was installed in "install mode" so that Terminal Server users could access ACT! on this machine.  The first time a user opens ACT! in a new session everything is good to go.  However, after closing ACT! and attempting to reopen, ACT! gets past the splash screen, opens the application, shows the login screen, but immediately at that point comes up with a "application has encountered a problem and needs to close" error.  Here are the details from the Event Viewer:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          6/11/2010 9:47:15 AM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      CPServer.hvpi.local
Description:
Faulting application name: ActSage.exe, version: 12.1.181.0, time stamp: 0x4b580713
Faulting module name: pngfilt.dll, version: 8.0.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdaee
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00001c1e
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-06-11T13:47:15.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>64472</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>CPServer.hvpi.local</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>ActSage.exe</Data>
    <Data>12.1.181.0</Data>
    <Data>4b580713</Data>
    <Data>pngfilt.dll</Data>
    <Data>8.0.7600.16385</Data>
    <Data>4a5bdaee</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>00001c1e</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

I've verified that the actsage.exe process is no longer running before a user tries to reopen the application.  This does not occur when logged in directly on the server but does occur if I login to the server via RDP's "console" mode.  It also does not matter whether we are logged in as the local administrator account, a domain administrator account, or just a typical end-user.  Also, logging off of the machine and back on then allows the user to open ACT! again.  Any ideas on this one?

-----------
Marshall Knapp
AspenTech Consulting Group, Inc.
Act! Certified Consultants - Diamond Level
866-880-4ACT (4228)
www.aspen-tech.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! Premium Web 12.1 / Terminal Server Issues

The faulting module " pngfilt.dll" is part of IE, used to display PNG files ... it's actually pretty buggy if you do a search for it over the 'net.

There is a suggested solution posted here:

http://community.act.com/sage/board/message?board.id=ACT&message.id=34096

Tuned Listener

Hi,

Did someone find a good issue?

i did :

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT/ACT-Crashes/m-p/67628

But no work for me

other idea?

Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm getting this error at a client of ours. Where it seems the pngfilt.dll file has a problem.

It may be that last weeks microsoft update has caused this, as the pngfilt.dll file has been updated (see the list of files in KB 2482017).

It seems a short term solution would be (as suggested in the link Mike points to) to rename the pngfilt.dll file.

Does anyone have any ideas on a better long term solution?

Ben.

Bronze Super Contributor

I've been revisiting this issue. Smiley Sad

But the good news is that I have a workaround. Thanks to input from Kurt at Sage Business Solutions, talking to him about the issue and then 15min later we have a workaround that so far has worked consitently.

The pngfilt.dll file is used by MSIE to display .png files, when you open ACT! (2010 Premium for this particular client) it shows the splash screen, then displays the 'home' screen behind the user logon dialog.

This 'home' screen is actually a html file that uses some images contained in the  C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows\Home\Images folder.

We're renamed the images from *.png to *.pn_ 

This effectlively means that the 'home' screen can't find the .png files, and I suspect that MSIE is rendering that page, which means it doesn't have any .png files to parse, and we're avoiding the awful errors that reference the pngfilt.dll file.

Oh, and ACT! is opening without error consitently for us. No Errors. NO ERRORS.

So, in all fairness, this in my book this seems to be a Microsoft issue.

Bronze Elite Contributor

The issue you mention is one of many with ACT for WEB on TS, particularly when the database is hosted on another machine and several TS servers are involved.

When ACT for WEB is accessed via a web browser on TS there is no way to configure user accounts to link with the word and outlook. The first user can be set up but after that it is imposable to set up other users as ACT detects that the downloaded enabling programs have already been installed but installing them sets up the user account link so there is no way to get more that 1 user working in a TS environment if using ACT for WEB where users connect via IE.

4 SAGE ACT team have all looked at the server configurations and said it required an ACT design fix and would get back to me. No one ever does !!!!