Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Premium V 16 Backup

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT Premium V 16 Backup

ACT Premium Backup:

Put in a new hard drive (Dell M6800 workstation), cloned the old HDD to the New, all went well and  and now I get this:

"The following error occurred during backup. The backup was cancelled. The parameter is incorrect."

Not sure if this is related to installing the new HDD or did this just randomly occur?

Anyone know what is going on here?   Jim

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by Elise (Moderator)
‎12-30-2015 09:18 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: ACT Premium V 16 Backup

Elise,    i did a google search and discovered the answer from a similar problem.

I had a thumb drive, that I had formatted using FAT32 file format and just re-formated using NTSF,  that's it, problem fixed.

My backup files are about 2GB,  for some reason (and after Cloning a new hard drive last week) my ACT backup file is now 6GB.    I have no clue what caused that?

anyhow my thumb drive was apparently in the FAT32 file format and would not back up a 6GB file.   Once I re-formatted to NTSF, the back up worked just fine.    Not techy enough to know what is going on, but all is now working.   thanks   Jim

View solution in original post

All Replies

What happens if you try to create a backup of the demo database, or if you create a new database and try to back that up?

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com
Solution
Accepted by Elise (Moderator)
‎12-30-2015 09:18 AM
Copper Contributor

Elise,    i did a google search and discovered the answer from a similar problem.

I had a thumb drive, that I had formatted using FAT32 file format and just re-formated using NTSF,  that's it, problem fixed.

My backup files are about 2GB,  for some reason (and after Cloning a new hard drive last week) my ACT backup file is now 6GB.    I have no clue what caused that?

anyhow my thumb drive was apparently in the FAT32 file format and would not back up a 6GB file.   Once I re-formatted to NTSF, the back up worked just fine.    Not techy enough to know what is going on, but all is now working.   thanks   Jim

Awesome! I'm glad to hear that you were able to get it fixed!

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com
Nickel Super Contributor

It is possible that if you do the backup in the Backup folder on the same database ... the next backup to grow exponentially

I recommend that you use a different folder - and created to put the backups...

backup.png

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Folks,   My database just keeps growing and growing, it is now up to 7.6GB.    Maybe in the last 3 months since this has been happeinng I have added a few hundred contacts, but nothing that would push this up to 7.61 GB.   Last Oct by database was 2GB.

My database is growing like it is on steroids.    Any one have a clues as to why?    Jim

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi Jim,

Are you backing up to a location that is also included within backups?

The following Knowledgebase article details this issue a little more:
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14268

Copper Contributor

Gary,   I've been backing up in the same ACT Backup folder for years, I Cant remember changing where I back up, and then all of a sudden the backup files start growing  by leaps and bounds.   At this point I have no clue what is causing this?

I mounted an older Hard drive and found this Windows Explorer view,  I dont know what that "lock" is and why it is showing up and then I see after the lock is gone the backup file really start to grow.   Any ideas?    Jim

2016-03-02_ACT16 BACKUP.jpg

Administrator

Hi Jim,

Essentially, when Act performs a backup, it includes all the files within the My Documents > Act > ACT Data folder.

Because your backups are inside this folder, they are also being included when Act backs up, which will exponentially increase the size of the backup.
We recommend you move your old backups out of this folder, and back up to a new location outside of the 'ACT Data' folder to stop this from happening.
Copper Contributor

Gary,  so I created a folder at C:\ACTBACKUPS    and backed up the ACT files from there.   Still the file was huge 7.9GB.

Does that folder have so much accumulated files from MYdocuments, as you mentioned earlier, and if so how do I slim this down to what should be a 2GB backup file?   Jim