Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Premium SQL Server interfering with my Veritas Backup software's SQL Server

ACT Premium SQL Server interfering with my Veritas Backup software's SQL Server

[ Edited ]
Message Edited by p411mact on 05-05-2008 05:47 AM

Re: ACT Premium SQL Server interfering with my Veritas Backup software's SQL Server

I am running Veritas Backup Software on my server which uses SQL Server...when I installed ACT Premium the backup will not run unless I manually stop the ACT SQL Server...is there a way for these two to run together? Or is there a way to schedule the ACT SQL Server to start and stop at a certain time of the day?
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Premium SQL Server interfering with my Veritas Backup software's SQL Server

Use the scheduler in ACT! premium, it's on the tools menu, to schedule the backup of the ACT! database to a ZIP file on the hard drive and then Veritas can backup the ZIP file. The backups that ACT! makes include the date in the backup file name so that you have a chain of backups. The latest version allows you to limit the number of backups retained on the hard drive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Copper Super Contributor

p411mact wrote:
I am running Veritas Backup Software on my server which uses SQL Server...when I installed ACT Premium the backup will not run unless I manually stop the ACT SQL Server...is there a way for these two to run together? Or is there a way to schedule the ACT SQL Server to start and stop at a certain time of the day?

I think he is using Veritas to back up other data on the server, not Act.  And Act is interfering with those backups.

Platinum Elite Contributor

You have 3 choices:

1. get the SA Password Utility from Corporate Services at http://www.act.com/products/large/cl/services/index.cfm/
This will allow Veritas to back up the ACT! database directly

2. Have Veritas exclude the ACT! Database folder, use the ACT! Scheduler to backup the ACT! database and have Veritas backup the ZIP file it creates

3. Stop the ACT! SQL services before the backup and restart them after the backup