Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Premium-ODBC Access ""call failed""

Copper Contributor

ACT Premium-ODBC Access ""call failed""

ACT2010 Premium-ACTReader installed-Access2007-Windows Vista Ult.

I approach via External Data in Access2007 and see left column many  dbo's Contact etc etc.

Some of them not holding all the default and custom fields.

I need to have access to ALL fields from CONTACTS (via one/more databases) in Query view.

The dbo.CONTACT giving """ODBC call failed,... conversion failed when converting from a character

string to unique indentifier (#8169)"""

The dbo_TBL_Contact is giving part of the fields only(same as if you use  ACT.OLE DB 1 in stead of 2).

The Contact.Contacts giving part/not all the fields of the fields.

Which database(s) giving all the fields I have in CONTACT ???, in order to work properly.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Premium-ODBC Access ""call failed""

The error is an Access error: This error message appears when you try to convert an invalid character string to uniqueidentifier.

this might help: http://klo-2k.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2872308BEB65CA67!405.entry

You might also see ACTDataDictionaryDocument.rtf as per http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/04/getting-table-structure-and-links-from.html

ODBC--call failed - Conversion failed when converting from a character string to a uniqueidentifier (#8169)

[ Edited ]

Re:  ODBC--call failed - Conversion failed when converting from a character string to a uniqueidentifier (#8169) 

I'm having a very similar problem.

ACT Premium 2010 (without the very recent updates installed)

Microsoft Access 2007

Windows 7 - 64 bit

I created an ODBC Data Source using the SQL Native Client driver as directed here

I was then able to create the linked tables from Access and can SEE the tables. 

I can open some tables, ie. dbo_ACT_Columns, but I cannot open any of the tables I really need!  When I double click on the dbo_COMPANY table, I get the error listed in the subject line.

I've looked all over the web and can't find anything written in terms I can understand that would explain to me why I can't view the core tables.  I'm not trying to query at this point, I just want to open the dang table!  

I also tried (for giggles) to link to the table in Excel following the instructions here.  Again, it worked perfectly for the dbo_ACT_Colums table, but failed with the dbo_comany table with the following message:  "The query did not run, or the database table could not be opened. Check the database server or contact your database administrator. Make sure the external database is available and hasn't been moved or reorganized, then try the operation again."

Can somebody please tell me how to get around this issue?  I have 18 users and 3 company divisions I'm trying to manage. I desperately need to do some custom reporting to help manage our data. 

----------------------------------

End note:

I also just tested the ODBC connection method on the server where the main database resides

Windows Server 2003 R2

Microsoft Access 2003

Same result :-(

Message Edited by kscott on 03-25-2010 08:23 PM

Re: ODBC--call failed - Conversion failed when converting from a character string to a uniqueidentifier (#8169)

OK, so now I feel like a complete idiot!  I was trying to open the wrong table.  I was trying to open dbo_COMPANY when I should have been opening dbo_TBL_COMPANY.  It's late, I'm tired; but if I find more enlightment (or more problems) I'll update this post for anyone else who might be looking for similar answers.

Tuned Listener

Re: ODBC--call failed - Conversion failed when converting from a character string to a uniqueidentifier (#8169)

Hi
Have you any solution to open dbo.compagny?