Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Premium Express

ACT! Premium Express

Hi,

Is there any info on the limitations of SQL Express? In terms of users and number of records?

Thanks,

Ravi
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! Premium Express

There are no limitations on either users or number of records when using ACT! premium, ACT! standard does place a restriction on the number of users. Microsoft does have a restriction on the database size for MSSQL Express, I believe it is 2 gig.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Thanks - you mention that ACT! Standard does have a limitation on number of users...can you confirm what is recommended?
Copper Elite Contributor

In ACT standard version, you can have upto 10 users for a database
Platinum Elite Contributor

Assuming you mean ACT! 10 Premium EX - it has a 4GB database size limit.
It's also limited to 1 processor and 1GB RAM... so unless you have multiple processors or 4GB+ RAM, you'll see no performance difference between EX and ST.

If running 25+ users, it's usually recommended to use a system with multiple processors, 4GB or more RAM, and 10K rpm drive and ST

So if using ACT! Premium ST, what's the solution for more than 10 users on a single database?

[ Edited ]

ravilal wrote:
So if using ACT! Premium ST, what's the solution for more than 10 users on a single database?

Not sure what you mean?

EX and ST will both work with 10+ plus users... you only need ST if the database is likely to be 4GB or more. You may get a performance benefit with ST if using multiple processors or 4GB+ RAM

If you don't have multiple processors or more than 4GM RAM and are unlikely to need such a huge database, there is no reason to go to ST.

Message Edited by GLComputing on 03-29-2008 08:52 PM

Thanks Mike - appreciate the clarification

ACT! is the same on both...

The difference is the use of Microsoft's SQL 2005 Standard (ST) or Express (EX) - and you can see the full list of differences here:

Also ST will only install SQL standard on a server operating system (Windows 2003 and maybe 2008)... workstations and non-server sync users will only get EX either way.

If you don't have multiple processors or more than 4GM RAM and are unlikely to need such a huge database, there is no reason to go to ST.

If I run several databases in the nnnMB range with a few dozen users, EX should be OK? How about if I want to access the ACT data from other applications, do I need the ST version for that? When I buy ST does it come with MS SQL Server Standard? Sorry to jump on the thread but I'm looking to upgrade our 2006 Premium users.

Thanks