Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Premium 9.0: Deleting User/Contact

ACT Premium 9.0: Deleting User/Contact

I have removed a standard user (no longer with company) from our database. While the user name no longer appears in the user list when "managing users", the name is still valid when logging in and also still shows up on username drop-down lists and I can not delete the contact record associated with that user.There is no history associated with the user except being linked/unlinked to/from a company record.

Any suggestions?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Premium 9.0: Deleting User/Contact

[ Edited ]

It sounds like the user record was only partially deleted.  Try doing this:

- Backup your database

- Create a new user and associate with the old user contact record you are unable to delete

- Close the database, reopen it an sign back in as yourself (NOT the new user)

- Open the Manage Users screen and verify the user is there an associated with the correct contact record

- Delete the user

- Run maintenance on your database by going to Tools/Database Maintenance/Check and Repair....run this twice in a row

- Close and reopen the database and see if the record was properly deleted

Message Edited by ghollister on 03-04-2009 03:26 PM

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I'm not sure how to associate the new user with the existing contact record. When creating the new user, I have the option to create from an existing contact, however that particular contact is not available to be selected. Is there another way to associate the user with the contact? When I created the new user, ACT automatically created another contact record for the new user. Now I have two contact records that both indicate that they are users.

What now??

Platinum Elite Contributor

If that contact recordis not available to link to the new user, that means it is probably still linked to a user record. Have you run the database maintenance yet to see if this fixes the issues?  There is also some additional maintenance you can run from Act! Diagnostics at the machine hosting the database:

- Close the ACT! program

- From your Start button, choose Run and type actdiag

- When Act! Diagnostics opens, go to Databases/Database List

- Locate your database, highlight it, and right-click on it to bring up database maintenance options

- Under Database Rebuilds, run the first three rebuild items one at a time

Reopen ACT! and see if the issue is resolved.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

OK, I deleted the newly created user and ran the database maintenance. The new contact record and the new user are now gone, however the original contact record associated with the original user, is still present and the name still appears on username dropdown lists. The username is no longer valid when logging in, but I would still like to get rid of that pesky contact record and the drop down references to the "phantom" user.