Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Premium 2012 is VERY slow to sync

JM
Nickel Contributor

Re: ACT Premium 2012 is VERY slow to sync

There is ACT 2011 SP1 Hot Fix 5 which I think Sage took after 2012 went Gold which included the Network Sync fixes.  I will backup before applying Hot Fix5 and run a performance check before and after.

Till then I wonder after Hot Fix5 or upgrades to 2012 Network sync users sould regenerate remote DB and upload them to remote sites?

JM

Avid Listener

Unfortunately, these are new remote databases from new sync sets so I am not sure if that helps or hinders.

David

Copper Contributor

I have the same issue... VERY SLOW SYNCs

emsbigfoot1 wrote:

Unfortunately, these are new remote databases from new sync sets so I am not sure if that helps or hinders.

David

Copper Contributor

I know that this thread is from last year, but I have a rather upset client that has 4 sales reps trying to sync. They're on 2012 Prem (14.1.108.0). When a rep does sync successfully it takes 4-5 hours to complete. I'm looking at KB article 28293. Does anyone know if this is a fix for my client's version? I know they sync a fair amount of document attachments.  Thanks.

Greater Chicago area ACC
Copper Contributor

I made an interesting discovery of late. One of our databases has two remote users; me and one other guy. The other guy has stopped syncing and now logs in direct - no more remote. All of my remote issues have almost ceased to exist. Syncing is faster and more reliable than it has ever been.

Publisher is on a Windows Server 2003 machine.

Subscribers were/are on Windows 7 Home Premium machines (64-bit)

Hmmm....

JM
Nickel Contributor

I am still running ACT! Prem. 2011 ver 13.1.111.0 Hot Fix 6 and my Syncs have been solid. I have version 2013 and Beta Tested it and found no problems with it.  I just decided to wait to upgrade after SP1/HFx was out since there is no real new features I need form it.

That being said your version get the latest HotFix and back up DB before doing so incase you need to revert back.  Run from a remote PC sync now! and after that repeat it and it should not take long. If still long sync time watch the details and review from the Publisher DB PC the Sync log.

Tip when I can I only attach very compress (small size, and or scanned in as B/W) PDF files.  IN word 2007 or newer you can save AS PDF or use third party to save as PDF to get even smaller size since DOC files can be 5-6 time larger. I have so far about 3,000 files attached to my DB. Sync time from a remote PC if no changes/additions made on it or Publisher PC is 3 min using Network Sync not Internet sync.. I use Logmein Hamachi for the VPN tunnel.

JM

Platinum Elite Contributor

Copper Contributor

Well, the utility in artcile 28293 does indeed work. For most users the sync time dropped from 4-5 hours to 4-5 minutes. However, the VP of sales is hopping mad that he and his team need to run this everyday.

I spoke to tech support and wanted to bounce their reply off this group. The tech suggested that we create a brand new empty copy of the master publisher database. And then import in the existing database (originally upgraded from ACT 2009) and then create all new RDB's. He said that this would eliminate the need to run the utility.

I'd like to get feedback from this group before I propose to the client that we do this. Thanks.

Greater Chicago area ACC
Platinum Elite Contributor

It only needs to be run when a non-attachment supplemental file is edited (i.e., layout, report, template, query, dashboard).

If this is common, you can use the schedule version

Also, if using the latest hotfix, it shouldn't re-occur
Copper Contributor

They're running ACT 2012 Prem, 14.1.108.0, which is, I understand the latest version. They've yet to make any data field or screen changes. It's all been attachments that's clogging up the works, as far as I can see.

We'll definitely move to using the scheduler to run the utility.

I'd still like to know if the new empty db/re-import scheme would resolve this before I actually do it.

Thanks.

Greater Chicago area ACC