Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Premium 2012 is VERY slow to sync

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Premium 2012 is VERY slow to sync

Check the Hotfix also ...

But the issue started before they updated ... just kept increasing the numbers till they complained about the speed.

If latest build and you've run the BAT on Publisher and ALL subscribers, problem shouldn't re-occur

Is there a reason you think you need to run it daily?
Copper Contributor

Hi,

I don't know if this is the place to ask?

I'm running V16 (recently updated from 2011/V13). It was always a little slow to sync remote datbases (via network sync/VPN).

However V16 seems slower. It takes a consistent 20mins to get through the database modifications section, even with all syncing of supplimental files or attachmenets turned off. This is over the our LAN, I haven't even tried it remote from the office yet.

Any ideas what I can do to speed it up? I know it's not the end of the world, it does sync eventually. It just seems a little excessive for the 2 dozen records that it actually finds to update.

Any help appreciated!

Roland

Roland Horwood
Frame Design
TJ Crump Oakwrights Ltd
www.oakwrights.co.uk
JM
Nickel Contributor

There are many things to check on so here is a break down where to check. I'm running version 2013 (15.1) wiht a DB of 75,500 contact records-1060 company records, 20 groups/102 subgroups, 1370 opportunity records, and 4,000 PDF, DOC attachments on my publisher PC a windows i7 2.4 GHz laptop.

I have Uverse 29ms latency 12.Mbps up and 1.5Mbps downlink bandwidth running speedtest.net 

The remote PC is a very slow xeon system running XP Pro connected to Comcast with much higher speed test results.

For VPN I use Hamachi ($29 yearly) and for remote central connection of multiple PC's I have LogmeinPro ($100 yrly) and (FYI they no longer offer free).

After a complete sync if I attach a file to the contact record Document Tab then remote in to have PC Sync Now it only takes1-2 min.  If I change 100's of contact records one field or dozen of them wiht History record Call type added it still only takes 2-3 min.

Based on all this you may want to run Speedtest.net and see if your router Upload MTU packet size default (1500) needs to be reduced by every 8 units which I just did today getting to 1348, to stop my Voipo inbound calls from being choppy. MTU also increased my upload speed from 1.4Mbps to 1.85Mbps and dropped latency form 35ms to 29ms

Check yoru router bandwidth diag resutls/status page for any network errors of dropped packets.

Next take the ACT demo DB and create Publisher and Remote to run sync's on it to eliminate any potential corruption in your working DB.

JM

Platinum Elite Contributor

You might post the sync log to see anything obvious.

If on the LAN, try without VPN ... it can take a lot of bandwidth
Copper Contributor

Morning,

thanks for the input. I'm still testing, before I set up my remote workers.

I'm not using the VPN, the sync is straight over our LAN (mostly gigabit, but portions may be 100MB). It's the "Checking if data changes are available for sync. " bit that takes the (roughly) 20mins.

We have 32,500 records. The whole database is 1GB. There are very few attachments and files. The server is brand new Windows 2012, 2 Xeon CPUs with 32GB RAM. I presume the server does most of the work?

The sync session below desn't appear to indicate any other issues that I can see. Is it just some very poor programming?

Cheers - Roland

======== SYNC SESSION - 06/03/2014 08:00:32 ========

[ Info | 06/03/2014 08:00:32 ]Message: Synchronization started.
[ Info | 06/03/2014 08:00:32 ]Message: Server object created.
[ Info | 06/03/2014 08:00:32 ]Message: Checking if schema changes are available for sync.
[ Info | 06/03/2014 08:00:33 ]Message: Server establishing synchronization with remote database: V16TEST050314
[ Info | 06/03/2014 08:00:33 ]Message: Server generated remote sync session identifier: 9ebe7a69-996b-4027-bedb-4ba98c5ea47f:<V16test050314>
[ Info | 06/03/2014 08:00:35 ]Message: Checking if data changes are available for sync.
[ Info | 06/03/2014 08:18:05 ]Message: Server initialized database send session: 4
[ Info | 06/03/2014 08:18:29 ]Message: Server initialized.
[ Info | 06/03/2014 08:18:51 ]Message: Synchronization completion done.
[ Info | 06/03/2014 08:18:51 ]Message: Synchronization has completed.
[ Info | 06/03/2014 08:18:51 ]Message: Items sent:
Activity - Added 27, Deleted 1, Updated 159
Contact - Added 3, Updated 19
History - Added 48, Updated 1
Opportunity - Updated 1
Security - Added 16, Deleted 3, Updated 9
Sync - Added 5, Deleted 3
Total Records Synchronized - 295
Files - Attempted 0, Completed 0
Exceptions Occurred - 0

[ Info | 06/03/2014 08:18:51 ]Message: Items received:

[ Info | 06/03/2014 08:18:52 ]Message: Items received:
Total Records Synchronised - 0
Exceptions Occurred - 0

[ Info | 06/03/2014 08:18:52 ]Message: Items sent:
Activity - Added 27, Deleted 1, Updated 159
Contact - Added 3, Updated 19
History - Added 48, Updated 1
Opportunity - Updated 1
Security - Added 16, Deleted 3, Updated 9
Sync - Added 5, Deleted 3
Total Records Synchronized - 295
Exceptions Occurred - 0

Roland Horwood
Frame Design
TJ Crump Oakwrights Ltd
www.oakwrights.co.uk
JM
Nickel Contributor

I'll differ to others with key input and experience related to LAN/WAN, but ask why if over a LAN are you not running ACT on server and just network users to the share DB folder, so they open ACT and default to the directory DB is at and open.

JM

Copper Contributor

Hi,

good question! I'm running over the LAN just to check the install and sync is working correctly before the user takes the laptop off site. Obviously all my office based users (35 of them) just access the database directly...

I've made the mistake of just installing and sending them off into the wide world before! If everything's not working perfectly and all the sync functionality tested thoroughly (including the links to MS Office) then my life just becomes a world of pain!

Roland

Roland Horwood
Frame Design
TJ Crump Oakwrights Ltd
www.oakwrights.co.uk
JM
Nickel Contributor

May I suggest calling ACT! paid support or accessing an ACT! ACC who's typical hourly rate to help would be a worth wild investment since you have 35 people accessing it and now remote DB's.  In my experience there are too many nuances about making ACT run smooth, or to know if you do X than Z will happen.  Just put it out of your mind its a shrink wrap easy setup app. There is lots it can do, lots of 3rd party add-ons to help address customization and your initial postion should be get it setup for a cost learn how and what to do to support it on your own their after.

Take it from me I spent way too much time customizing it beyound a contact manager, learning how to customize my application needs and staying current on new updates.

You may want to consider a whole different method :

A) keep your life simpler on managing PC's

B) less chance of data being lost or messed up by a bad sync if a user rights are not set just correctly.

Since you have a server I would install ACT! for web on it for remote PC's and the LAN folks access ACT! that's installed on each PC to access same database location.

If remote PC's need to do more than web  interface allows you can configure them with a Citrix like solution.

Either get from ISP a dedicated IP, or Install Hamachi, or other VPN solution to get the dedicated IP for remote PC's to sync to Publisher.

On server add the IIS service to ACT! Web to run.

On and on withthe steps but basically avoid having ACT database on laptops would also give security peace of mind if one was stolen.

JM

Copper Contributor

I've decided just to accept that it takes 18minutes (repeatably) to get through the "database modifications" section. I'm now testing remotely via our VPN.

We've had ACT! for 5 years now, using 2009, 2011 and now V16. We mainly moved to V16 for the mobile functionality, which works very well. I had also planned to use the web version for remote access from laptops as you suggest. This appeared to work OK on the surface, but trying to integrate it with Outlook for calendar sync turned out to be tricky, to say the least. It also appears that the logging of outgoing and incoming email functioanlity is limited compared to having the full application running on the remote pc. These features are vital to us.

If we still have problems I might take your suggestion and investigate a citrix type solution, however this obviously wouldnt work offline, and is extra expense.

Thanks for suggestions - Roland

Roland Horwood
Frame Design
TJ Crump Oakwrights Ltd
www.oakwrights.co.uk
Bronze Super Contributor

@roly wrote:
It also appears that the logging of outgoing and incoming email functioanlity is limited compared to having the full application running on the remote pc. These features are vital to us.

We use 123 Sync to integrate emails, it sits between Act! and Exchange. The big advantage for us is that it doesn't matter where staff send emails from (i.e. iPhone/Thunderbird/any email client) it gets attached. Way easier.