Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Premium 2012 Search on Keywords Not Working

Copper Contributor

ACT Premium 2012 Search on Keywords Not Working

We recently upgraded from ACT Premium 2010 I believe to ACT! Premium 2012 Version 14.1.108.0.

Prior to upgrading, I used the search on keyword function all the time. For example, say I wanted to make sure a company wasn't in our database already, but possibly spelled different. I would look up the last part of the email address in the keyword search by putting in "@xyz.com". I would check the Fields box and then search. If any contacts existed with that last part of the email address they would be displayed below and I could then hit "Create Lookup". This was extremely helpful.

Now when I do this same thing, the search yields no results and if I am able to get a result, the "Create Lookup" button is always grayed out.

I realize there is a new Search feature in 2012, but this really isn't helpful to me because I can't specify fields, nor does the option to create a lookup exist.

Am I doing something wrong or is there another way to go about doing what I want to do without having to create an advanced query or from the lookup, select email, and from the dropdown select "contains"? These methods are a lot more time-consuming.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Premium 2012 Search on Keywords Not Working

Hello aes1783,
When doing the search, try choosing "Contacts" and "All contacts" for the Type field under the "Search these records" section. Choosing to search all records will not allow you to create a lookup from the results, since ACT! can only perform a lookup on one type of record.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

This solved part of the problem in that it does let me do a lookup when my search actually yields results, however, when searching for the last part of the email (fields checked), nothing comes up. Even if I put in a company name and have fields checked, the search yeilds no results.

[ Edited ]

Try this:
- Go to Lookup > Other Fields
- Field = "Any Email Field" (this is the actual name of it)
- "Contains"  = (last part of email address)

This assumes that the email addresses are in email-type fields, and not in character fields

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Yes, that works. So does going to Lookup, Email, and then selecting contains from the Dropdown. I was just trying to determine if I was doing something wrong in the Search on Keyword function since I know it used to work that way and doing it via the lookup method is more cumbersome.

Not sure, I really haven't seen a difference in my testing. A slightly quicker method would be the quick lookup on the Navbar (top left)

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

Having the same problem. What is the purpose of the search box on the upper right of the screan if we have to us the "Lookup" menu option? This used to work in the previous versions but does not work in the ACT! Premium 2012 version.

The Search box in the upper right is for the new Universal Search feature in ACT! 2012. It is a more comprehensive search tool that the options under the Lookup menu. The following Knowledgebase article provides more information on this feature:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2803...

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

But it does not work, it gives no results. It did when I first installed ACT Preminum 2012, now I get no results. What went wrong?

There can be different causes, depending on whether you are accessing the database locally or through a network. Please see the following Knowledgebase article for more information:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2820...

You may also want to make sure the ACT! Service Host service is started. Click your Windows Start button, either click Run or go to the Search box, and type "services.msc". Locate the ACT! Service Host service and make sure the status is Started. If not then start it, if it is, then Restart it.

Greig Hollister