Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Premium 2012 SP1 - Unable to open application

ACT! Premium 2012 SP1 - Unable to open application

Hi to All,

I am looking for some assistance as I appear to have exhausted the expertise of our in house IT services.  I have recently migrated from HDD to SSD using Paragon.  Since completing the change over everything has been working perfectly including ACT! 2012.

This morning I attempted to open ACT! and instead of being asked to login I was presented with what can only be described as a part drawn screen with a white background.  To provide a little more detail:

• Click on shortcut
  • Splash Screen displays - OK
  • Application window draws white background and lines where ribbon will be drawn
  • Hang

I have spent most of today researching the internet, removing the C:\Users\Public\Documents\ACT files, replacing them with backup copies, I have even uninstalled the product twice and reinstalled.  I have attempted to remove any entries from the registry post uninstall to obtain a clean canvas to work with, however each time I reinstall I am faced with the same issue.

Tomorrow I will attempt to boot from the old HDD and see if that works but I wondered if anyone on here had any suggestions or had possibly experinced this themelves and resolved it.

My machine is Windows 7, 32bit.

Thank you in advanced.

Re: ACT! Premium 2012 SP1 - Unable to open application

Logviewer.exe has this useful info:

Error Exception: could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80030002 (STG_E_FILENOTFOUND))System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80030002): could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80030002 (STG_E_FILENOTFOUND))
at ADChronopher.SchedulerClass.LoadFromFile(String fileName)
at Act.UI.ActApplication.InitializeScheduler()
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Spark,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Do you have ACT! installed on another machine? If so, is it able to open from there?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

[ Edited ]

The ACT database is stored on a server within a company using ACT on many machines. Everyone else is fine and can open/access their copy.

Seems like it is just me!

In addition I have tried opening ACT! "off" the network altogether and therefore without access to the DB.  I get the same problems.  It seems to be an issue loading the application not opening any databases unless it is looking at the local databases.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Here are a couple of things you can try (one at a time):

- Try the suggested solutions in the following Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2262...

- Rebuild ACT! preferences manually per instructions in the bottom half of this KB article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1477...

- If you are using Windows 7 or Windows Vista, try disabling User Account Control (UAC). Instructions for each O/S are in these KB articles:
Vista: http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2022...
Window 7: http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2566...

- Make sure there are no compressed files in the following directories:
C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Windows
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server
* for 64-bit machines, the programs directory would 'Program Files (x86)"

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks Greig, I am out of the office for a few days but I will try those when I get back in.