Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Premium 2011 and Word 2010 - not communicating

ACT! Premium 2011 and Word 2010 - not communicating

First issue:  I do not have ACT! Templates as a dropdown option to save a Word document.  Greg Martin gave me the "work-around" formula to put " .adt" around the file name and that has worked as a limited solution.  I still want it work right.  There are issues about how those templates work later and I believe it is because I've forced them to work.  Why doesn't Word have the ACT! TEmplate option to save a file?

Second issue: OFTEN, when I pull up a saved ACT! Template, fill in information and try to save it, I get the "BONK" sound a computer makes when you ask it to do something it doesn't recognize.  I can "Save As" until the cows come home and I have tried just about everything but inevitably I end up dumping all my work, closing Word, often having to close ACT! as well, and then start over again.  I believe this is related to Issue 1 above because it just doesn't like my templates.  After I close out and re-start it usually works fine.  I haven't yet been completely unable to work with a template.  But who has time for this and at the prices we paid for ACT! & Office 2010 ... shouldn't they WORK??

That's it for now.  Any help would be appreciated.

Greg B

Re: ACT! Premium 2011 and Word 2010 - not communicating

Does no one have a clue on this request?  Is it in the wrong forum?  It is still happening and I could use a little help here.

Thank you.

Greg

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Greg,

Just some questions to understand your issues:

For these two issue, are creating/diting the templates through ACT! or directly from Word?

f through ACT!, for the new templates are you using Save or Save As?

What version/build of  ACT! 2011 do you have (Help > About ACT!)?

What operating system do you have? If Vista or Windows 7, has User Account Control (UAC) been disabled?

Is the ACT! menu item in Word visible and functioning?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

First let me apologize for calling you Greg Martin.  I was out of mind for a bit there, I think.

If I understand your first question, I am creating the templates from Word.  I've had them for years.  I have a large number of different quotes that I write and the verbiage is different & the products are different so to streamline my process I have created templates.  I update them periodically when something changes.  The originals several years ago were created by someone else. They worked fine until this version of Word and ACT!   Since I've never created a Document using ACT! I tried to find it.  I went to "Write" and then down to "Document" and it opened a Word document.  I typed something innane and then tried "Save As."  The first time I got the window to save it as something.  I looked at the types of files I could save it as and ACT! Template was not on the list.  So I closed out and tried it a second time.  This time I got the "bonk of death" when I clicked "Save As."  Also when I clicked "Save."  Bonk, bonk, bonk.  So I closed Word and tried it a third time, after a brief wait, and it allowed me to "Save As" but still without the ACT! Template option.

ACT! Version: Sage ACT! Premium 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2

I am using Windows XP - Professional Version 2002 - Service Pack 3

When Word is open, I have an Add-ins Tab.  Under that tab I have an ACT! Menu that has 5 options: Attach to ACT!, Send email, Send Fax, Show Field History and Record History.  I routinely use the Attach to ACT! option for each quote I write.  It works fine.  HOWEVER, in the last version of ACT! the option to Record History popped up automatically.  I liked that.  It doesn't do that  now.  I have to manually attachd the quote to ACT!.

There you have it, Greg.  Thanks for your continued help.

Greg B.

[ Edited ]

No problem...definately not an insult Smiley Happy

Here are a couple of points:

- When you go to Write/Document in ACT!, it is not creating a template, but rather just a standard Word document. Word documents (.doc, .docx) cannot be saved as ACT! templates. For a template, you would go to Write > New Letter/Email Template (new) or Write > Edit Template (edit existing). This will open an .ADT file and the ACT! field list box should pop open as well. When saving the template, it should automatically save as an .ADT file (so you would not need to use Save As).

- For the Record History option, this will only come up if you print the merged document. You can print to any drive (printer, .pdf, MS XPS) and the record history dialog box should appear. If it is not, then the ACT! Office Add-In may be disabled. To check this in Word, go to File > Options > Add-Ins, click Go at the bottom for COM Add-Ins, and make sure that the ACT! Office Addin is checked.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Okay.  You know, Greg, it's a lot more palatable if there's something wrong with the program and not operator error.  However, making it work is all I really wanted, even if it means, I have to fix me.

Thank you for clarifying the Template versions and procedures.  Since I have rarely created my own from scratch I missed these steps.  Now I know how to edit them from ACT! and when I need to, I can create one.  Thanks.

The Record History is still not working properly.  What you describe is exactly how it used to work.  I take a ACT! Template, fill in the information for the quote, save it and then print it to a pdf file before I send it to the customer.  ACT! used to ask me if I wanted to attach it to History at that point.  It doesn't now.   Word says the ACT! Office Addin is active (File, Options, Add-ins).  So there is something else preventing them from communicating.

I'm just thinking out loud here (often dangerous) but when I loaded this version of ACT!, I was forcing Word to save the Templates as .adt files.  I know in the past I had to convert Word Templates, etc. from the old version of ACT!  I did not seem to need to do that this time.  Should I have?  Should I now?  And the Templates seem to also pull up in the old version of Word.  I often have to convert them on the fly to get Word to save them.  Should I convert the  Templates to Word 2010?  Can I do that en masse?  Is this not a related topic?

Greg

Test creating a brand new template from ACT! (you can copy paste the body of one of your existing templates if you like), then merge and print it, and post the results. It's possible there may be an issue with the older template files, this should tell us.

Greig Hollister

Okay.  I created a Test template with my information.  I hadn't done it for a while so it took me a bit to re-acquaint.  I saved the Template then closed it.  And used it to open up a quote.  I did my normal routine: Open the document using ACT!'s "Write", Other Document.  I messed with it a bit then saved the quote.  Then I Attached it manually to ACT! .  Then I hid the stuff I need to hide and printed it to pdf.  That  worked fine but ACT! did not offer to save the history like it used to.

For argument's sake, I tried to print it before saving it.  That really wigged it out, trying to convert the Template to a print.  So then I tried printing it before I attached it to ACT! manually.  Neither of these attempts caused ACT! to offer to save it to history.  That option is not working.  New Template or not.

One other thing 'weird' about this, is that when I pull up a Template and save it as a quote, it does not save it as a Word 2010 file.  I have to convert them all the time.  I'm sure that's a Word thing but I found it weird.

One other aspect of this discussion that probably has nothing to do with anything, but all my Quote Templates have an embedded Excel object in them.  There is text on page one and then on page two is the actual quote with an embedded excel spreadsheet object.  That behaves badly once in a while, not doing what I expect it to do, but I deal with it.

Greg

And I am just batting a thousand with butchering your name.  Sorry, Greig.

Hi.

Have you worked it out? I wonder whether  the PDF converter I am testing these days can help with that? Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.   

Best regards,

Arron

Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

aaronlee,

Thank you for submitting your post. The File Type that can be used in the template editor for Microsoft word is .adt.

Below is a link to a Knowledgebase Article that may fix the issue you are having:

1. 22869 Templates Are Saved as Microsoft® Word® Documents (.DOC) Instead of ACT! Document Templates (.ADT) - http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22869

Act uses only .adt files for the templates that are made in Microsoft Word and PDFs will not work in this type of scenario.

Hope this helps,

Scott Baker
Visit the knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com