Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Premium 2009 not recording eMails in history if the eMail has an attachment

Copper Elite Contributor

ACT Premium 2009 not recording eMails in history if the eMail has an attachment

We have a 3 user system. We use ACT extensively as a document storage database besides for CRM. Recently, we've noticed that ACT is not recording eMails in history if that eMail happened to have a document attached to it. It does record in history just fine if there is no attachment to the eMail. I checked the eMail settings in tools. It is setup correctly. I'm wondering if my database file is getting to be too large. I recently created a new Remote Database. The RDB fle is almost 8 GB. I'm sure a lot of that size is because of the documents we have in the database.

The problem appears to exist with two of us, but not the 3rd. FYI: The two with the problem have the full database of records. The 3rd not all. The two have a DB file almost 8GB. The third about 5.5GB.

Outlook is 2003. Version of ACT Premium:  Premium 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0, Hotfix 4.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT Premium 2009 not recording eMails in history if the eMail has an attachment

ACT! 2009 by default uses SQL 2005 Express, which has a database size limit of 4gb.  If you are using SQL 2005 Standard, there is no size limit.  This limit only applies to the 'database.ADF' file and is not affected by the attachments folder.  What is the size of the ADF file for your database?  What is the size of the 'database file/attachments' folder?

Can you manually attach an email that contains an attachment?

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Premium 2009 not recording eMails in history if the eMail has an attachment

Hi Greg!  Thanks for the insite!  MY DB file is only 253 MB.  The attachements folder is 11.5GB. Yes, we can manually attach the eMails. The problems with eMails not automatically attaching is inconsistent.

Certainly no where near the size limit, but being inconsistent doesn't make it easier.  Take a look at the folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\*username*\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Windows 11\HistoryQueue

Look in the Errors folder, right click on an xml file, select Open With = Notepad.  See if it gives any information for why an email failed to attach.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Elite Contributor

Greg,

I followed that path. My system won't let me view the folder C:\Documents and Settings\. Location is not available. Access is denied.

I can get to c:\ProgramData\ACT\ACT for Windows 11.  But, there is no error folder. No subfolders. There are four XML files. I opened scheduler_log.xml.  I don't see any errors to do with eMail attachements.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit.

Ok, the path I provided was XP. For Win 7, click on Windows Start > enter '%appdata%' > press Enter. Then continue through the path to HistoryQueue.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks, Greg.

The errors folder has no files.

Copper Elite Contributor

Greg,

The periodic problem with eMails not attaching still exists. Also, there is another problem:  My CSR person works with the attached documents more than anyone. In two of our oldest and largest accounts, they have about 300 attached documents.  Again, it is inconsistent. What happens periodically is that when she is in one of those large accounts and clicks on the documents tab, the PDF and word and excell icons disappear. Then, within a few minutes ACT locks up and she cannot do anything in ACT. She has to restart ACT.  This has been going on a few months. So, 3 weeks ago I purchased her a new laptop with increased speeds and RAM. Still having the same issues. I checked her error folder. No errors logged. 

Ever hear of these issues?

Todd

Haven't heard of this specific issue before, but it definitely sounds like a resources issue.

Be sure to check the Windows Event Viewer for errors.

Another look at resources is the Task Manager. Open it and watch the Performance tab as she accesses the contact and then the Documents tab.
On the Processes tab of the Task Manager, add GDI Object and watch it's count (click View > Select Columns > enable GDI Objects). If it gets near 9999, it will cause the program to fail.

How many files in total are there in the database 'Attachments' folder?
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Elite Contributor

Wow! There are 53,900 items in the attachment folder.  Most are eMails that start with a file name of tmp.  Does tmp mean they are temporary files and I should delete them?