Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Premium 2009 & Possible Handle Leak Issue (Was Never Answered On Board)

Tuned Listener

ACT Premium 2009 & Possible Handle Leak Issue (Was Never Answered On Board)

Hello everyone,

I am having the same issue as a few others, and I never saw a definitive answer to the problem.  I am representing it here in order to help myself and anyone else running into this issue.

We run ACT 2009, I am running from ACT! 2009 Premium (not web).  We were using 2008 and never had this issue..now with 2009 we have it (and so many others!).

I have the following .NET versions and updates installed:  .NET Framework 1.1, 1.1 Hotfix, .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, .NET Framework 3.0 SP2, .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

When I delete or re-assign a large group of records (200 or more) or sometimes just when it feels like it, ACT stops working and I get an error saying: Error creating window handle.

When I checked my handles in Task Manager, the highest count was a little over 2,000 for a SYSTEM process.  ACT is lower on the list with only 596.

This is a very frustrating issue, and a time waster.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  If anyone else keeps having this problem, can you post how you may have resolved it?

Thank you

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Premium 2009 & Possible Handle Leak Issue (Was Never Answered On Board)

You can try lowering or disabling hardware acceleration. First, close all open programs:

XP

- Right-click on Desktop and select Properties

- Under the Settings tab, click Advanced

- Under the Troubleshoot tab, use the slider to reduce or disable hardware acceleration

- Click Apply, then OK, then reboot your machine

Vista

- Right-click on Desktop and select Personalize

- Click Display Settings

- Clicked Advanced Settings

- Under the Troubleshoot button, select Change Settings to adjust/disable hardware acceleration

- Click Apply, then OK and reboot your machine

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

Re: ACT Premium 2009 & Possible Handle Leak Issue (Was Never Answered On Board)

Hello - thank you for your answer.

I want to preface my follow up question with a disclaimer.  I thank you for the time you took to answer my question, and I am sure the solution you gave is a viable one (though I have not attempted it yet).

My question which is not meaning to sound snarky is - is there any fix for ACT that doesn't involve downgrading my computers performance or software versions?  I find it crazy that we have to downgrade to IE7, only use Safari 3-3.5, can only use Outlook for email integration...it just drives me nuts.  I know it's a Sage issue, and the common response is "make sure to request that for future versions" but it seems ridiculous that we have to upgrade annually for a FEW of several necessary fixes.  I have to have old software and no hardware acceleration for my video card to maybe get my ACT to work?  *sigh*  ACT 2009 no less!

Thank you for hearing me out.