Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Premium 2009 - Unable to insert a history.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT! Premium 2009 - Unable to insert a history.

I am having a problem with attaching documents to history across all users, we all have XP, Office 2003 and ACT Premium 2009 v11.0.0.367, we all use the same database located on an Windows 2003 server.

My users are able to create documents ok, when they come to print they select "Yes, record history" and also tick the "Attach document to history" box, the documents print fine but they are presented with a error message from ACT! saying "Unable to insert history". This has been working fine for a while, but now it does not!

I have ran actdiag repair a few times and reindex etc., this does not help I have also done check and repair in Office this does not help either. As this is happening with all clients on the network I am thinking that the issue may not be with the users PC's,

I have searched the forums, but cannot seem to find a solution the only one I found is for Windows Vista and Office 2007 and the solution is to turn UAC off, but we are using XP and Office 2003.

Does anyone have a solution for this issue? 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author DSRoberts
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: ACT! Premium 2009 - Unable to insert a history.

Issue Solved!!

I took a backup of the database & restored it to the server under another name, the newly restored database now works ok.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

Are you able to manually create a History item or attach a file to the Documents tab?

Do you see any messages in the Event Viewer (possibly provide more information)?

You may want to try adding 'Everyone - Full Control' to your Database files folder (and subfolders).  Right click on the folder > select Properties > Security tab > 'add'.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Hi,

I can manually create history's with documents attached, and also attach documents to the documents tab.

I have checked the permissions for the database folder on the server, everyone already had full control - so I reapplied the folder permissions.

There is nothing in the Event Viewer on the client machines, or the server that jumps out.

None of the above have any effect.

One thing I forgot to mention in my first post - I have two databases hosted on our server and this issue only happens on one databases. 

Solution
Accepted by topic author DSRoberts
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Issue Solved!!

I took a backup of the database & restored it to the server under another name, the newly restored database now works ok.

Copper Contributor

Problem un-solved!!!!

This issue keeps coming back, was ok for a week then came back!!! Did a restore yesterday it worked, then this morining the dreded unable to attach to history.

I have also upgraded ACT for v11.0 to 11.1.13.0 hotfix 4, still no joy!

Does anyone have an idea?

My setup is: Server Windows Server 2003, XP Clients, Office 2003, ACT 2009 (11.1.13.0, Hotfix 4).

Getting really frustrated now. :-(

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello DSRoberts,

This may be an issue with your database. Try testing the functionality with another database, such as the demo database (ACT11Demo), and see if the same error occurs.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Greig,

We have three databases located on the server and the issue only happens with one of the databases, the other two work fine.

Database matainance, is regually done, i.e. reindex and check for errors etc.

Any suggestions?

Platinum Elite Contributor

This would seem to indicate an issue with that database. Have you run repairs on the database through ACT! and ACT! Diagnostics? Also, are all three database located in the same directory on your server?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

DB maintance is done twice a week via act diag(reindex, check for errors etc) , all databases (ADF's and ALF's etc) are located in a folder on a seperate partition on the server, then there are sub folders e.g. database1-database files, database2-database files etc....