Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Premium 2008 sa password

Copper Super Contributor

Re: ACT Premium 2008 sa password

@Bill wrote:

I know this has been requested from customers and, if not mistaken, our Product Managment team has listened. We can't however, comment on what is included in a future release.

Message Edited by neil_beam on 03-25-2008 07:04 PM

I want to apologize in advance for not contributing anything significant to this thread. However, in response to Bill's comment, I think I would feel more comfortable continuing to support Act/Sage if I was more aware of what was being fixed and addressed in future versions. Our experience upgrading from v6 to 2005/v7 was so painful that we've not upgraded to 2006, 2007, or 2008. I manage all of the IT resources for my company and I'm currently going back and forth on whether to upgrade Act or consider alternative products. I think Sage could do much more to improve their customer loyalty.
Copper Contributor

Bill,

Where can I find documentation and implementation information on the OLE/DB Provider and the SQL Reader?  We have the SA password utility and use it to access the data with BIRT for reporting.  In the future we want to distribute the BIRT report capability to our users fo they can run reports on their remote database and do not want to distribute the SA password or the SA Utility.

Larry Warner
Fluke Corp
ACT! Administrator (part time)Smiley Happy
Copper Super Contributor

The ActReader Utility includes the following files:
  • Administrator's Guide to the ActReader Utility.pdf
  • ACTColumnsDocument.rtf
  • ACTTablesDocument.rtf

The first describes basically how to use the utility, then connect to the SQL Server instance using the credentials you've established.

The other two documents are a form of "Data Dictionary" for the database schema which describes/comments most of the tables and columns (there is still some lacking comments as it's a work-in-progress Smiley Happy)

With regards to the ACT! OLE/DB Reporting Provider, there is really no current documentation.  Any third-party query or reporting software (or MS Office) which can use an OLE/DB connection can use our provider.  It will be listed (usually at the top of the list since it's alphabetical) and you will need to provide your ACT! user credentials.  The underlying database tables are exposed thru VIews prefixed with "VRP_" and will be identifiable for things like Notes, Histories, Contacts, etc.  The presumption here is that the user consuming this provider interface has a general query and/or report-writer background.

Actually, providing more documentation on the OLE/DB Provider is something that has been brought up before.  I'll check to ensure it's still in the feature bucket as I can see its usefulness.

Hope this helps.

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software

Platinum Elite Contributor

DaveHenzel wrote:

I want to apologize in advance for not contributing anything significant to this thread. However, in response to Bill's comment, I think I would feel more comfortable continuing to support Act/Sage if I was more aware of what was being fixed and addressed in future versions. Our experience upgrading from v6 to 2005/v7 was so painful that we've not upgraded to 2006, 2007, or 2008. I manage all of the IT resources for my company and I'm currently going back and forth on whether to upgrade Act or consider alternative products. I think Sage could do much more to improve their customer loyalty.

Dave, ACT! 7.0 was painful like 3.0 before it... they were both complete re-writes in new environments. ACT! 2008 (10.0) is significantly better, faster and more stable and worth the change if you have the opportunity.

I think this site (especially with the blogs from senior managers) is going a long way to work on re-building the loyalty that ACT! users have historically had.

gordonwrogers wrote:
Out of curiosity, did you have to pay for the password? To my understanding, our backup software, Symantec Backup, won't backup a locked SQL database. Last time we checked, Sage wanted $1,800 for the priveledge of knowing the password to OUR database.

Gordon, does your backup software have the ability to run a command before and after the backup? Most backups do.

If so, you can stop the SQL service, backup the files, and restart the service. I use this method in this simple batch file for backing up ACT! data. You'd just use the NET STOP before and NET START after.

Create an ACTBackup.bat file in Notepad as follows:

REM - Change the SET Paramaters as appropriate for your system
SET ACTSourceFolder="C:\Act\Database"
SET ACTDestinationFolder="D:\Backups\Act\Database"
SET XcopyOptions=/M /E /C /H /O /Y /I
REM
REM - Stop ACT Service
NET STOP SQLAGENT$ACT7
NET STOP MSSQL$ACT7
REM
REM - Perform copy
XCOPY %ACTSourceFolder% %ACTDestinationFolder% %XcopyOptions%
REM
REM - Restart ACT Service
NET START MSSQL$ACT7
NET START SQLAGENT$ACT7
END

With the SQL engine stopped, you can use anything to copy/backup the database and supplemental files. You could replace the XCOPY with a command line ZIP or other back-up utility.

Then run the BAT file from the Windows scheduler

Hi,

I need help regarding connecting with ACT database through .net platform

i am using the following connection string

cnDB.ConnectionString = "provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Data Source=.\ACT7;Initial Catalog=DB1;Integrated Security=SSPI;"

cnDB.Open()

i am getting following error

"login failed for user systemName\Administrator"

please help me out

Thanx in advance

Regards

Nouman Sarwar

We cannot integrate ACT Database with any other SQL engine... But you can purchase SDK version of ACT which comes with SA password. You can give this a try.

Thanks & Regards
Uniquestart Technologies
Copper Super Contributor

Thru our Corporate Sales group you can purchase an "sa" password Utility.

The SDK is free and publicly available.  It provides a rich API for writing utilities and add-ons to extend the ACT! application.

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software

@Bill wrote:

Thru our Corporate Sales group you can purchase an "sa" password Utility.

The SDK is free and publicly available.  It provides a rich API for writing utilities and add-ons to extend the ACT! application.

Just to clarify... the SA Utility is for backups and reporting - ie Read Only access. To write to the database, you need to use the SDK