Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Premium 2008 sa password

ACT Premium 2008 sa password

We've just commenced the process of upgrading from ACT 6 to ACT Premium 2008 and I have downloaded the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express tool to take a look at the ACT database.
Does anyone know the password for the 'sa' account?
I found the KB article about setting up the SQL instance manually in which it says it is 'sage' but this does not work so I'm guessing that it has changed in version 10.

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: ACT Premium 2008 sa password

In order to obtain the sa password for the ACT7 instance, you would need to purchase the password from sales. After the instance is installed and ACT connects to it, the sa password is then randomized and not exposed.

If you are interested in purchasing the sa password tool, you can contact sales at 888-855-5222

Ah I see, that explains it. Thanks.
Copper Super Contributor

Just curious what you're interested in looking at (or for)...

A couple of other notes:
  • ACT! includes an OLE/DB Provider for reporting purposes.  This can be used with Crystal Reports, Excel, etc. and provides the ACT! security model implementation (field and record-level).
  • There is also an optional SQL reader account utility (ActReader) that is available thru Corporate Sales, as well.  This provides "raw" SQL table read-only access for reports, data extraction, etc.

Perhaps one of these options would work for you.

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software

I was exploring ways of getting at the ACT database for extracting data etc.
Having spoken to Sales I have downloaded the SDK and will look at that instead.

Thanks

Mark:

Out of curiosity, did you have to pay for the password? To my understanding, our backup software, Symantec Backup, won't backup a locked SQL database. Last time we checked, Sage wanted $1,800 for the priveledge of knowing the password to OUR database.

Just Curious.
Gordon

Yes, that is about the price that I was quoted here in the UK, and no we will not be purchasing it.
I have setup the ACT Scheduler to backup the database on a daily basis and then backup the resulting zip file to tape as normal.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Bill,

FWIW, most people want it to support SQL backup programs.

Personally, I've always felt that for Premium users, this should be free.... maybe with agreeing to an additional EULA not to attempt to use code in the SQL dB or to directly write to the dB in any way.

And Standard users should have the ability to schedule backups which they don't now

Automated backups should be easier to ensure safety if something goes wrong... after all, people rely in this data
Copper Contributor

I support your post about the need to be able to backup.

Fortunatly, our system admin has excellent backup procedures, where the complete drives are imaged and these images are being stored on a seperate off site system. Very nice, but expensive indeed. Smiley Indifferent

Having said this, there are still ways to read the access the database without the sa password, should it really be nessesary..
But most for most uses described above, this need is not clearly visible.

Kind regards,

Rene van der Velde
aka "The Dutch Betatester"

Kind regards,

Rene van der Velde
The Netherlands
aka 'The Dutch Betatester'
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]
 I know this has been requested from customers and, if not mistaken, our Product Managment team has listened. We can't however, comment on what is included in a future release.

Message Edited by neil_beam on 03-25-2008 07:04 PM

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software