Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Premium 2008 - "Protexis Licensing" Service Not Found

ACT Premium 2008 - "Protexis Licensing" Service Not Found

My boss took it upon himself to upgrade ACT to V 10.0.  Now it will not start and the error is reporting that "Protexis Licensing Service" needs to be started.  I've look all over and cannot find the "Protexis Licensing Service" to start. 

Do I need to re-run the install, or is there another issue that I'm not seeing?  (BTW: I get these issues only when they don't work, so I'm not sure how it was installed.)

Thank you for your time.

Tom

Re: ACT Premium 2008 - "Protexis Licensing" Service Not Found

Hello Tom,

The Protexis Service handles our registration in ACT! 2008. 

You can check services and see if Protexis is started.

1. Go to your start menu and select run
  2. type in services.msc
  3. Look for Protexis Licensing V2
  4. If its there, check the status column and make sure its started.  You can start the service by right clicking Protexis and selecting start.

If the service is not there, then you can run a simple repair on the ACT! installation from add/remove programs.  The repair will try to reinstall the service for you.

Thanks.

OK... Got a few other things to tack onto this... 

Per another thread here, I deleted the Protoexis directory and I went into Regedit to delete the service's key.  The service was not listed in the regedit screen where it should of been.  I went forward and started the Repair process and I got an error that states the repair mode is not allowed.  It also states I must remove it and re-install it. 

This is a Network Version that's loaded on SBS2003.  I can run thru the uninstall/reinstall process, but I guessing the database won't be affected if I do that.  (Not that familar with ACT... Sorry.)  I'm seeing in other threads that reinstall seems to work, but there's hesitation on my part when the Service Pack gets updated and I'm back in this boat.  Is there a .EXE of this Sp that I can download? 

Again, thank you for your time.

Tom 

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tom,

Re-installing ACT! won't affect the database.  I would suggest performing an uninstall, then re-install ACT!

I've seen this Protexis service disappear and it has been caused each time by a specific Microsoft update being installed (don't have the specific name of the update on hand).  Since that update is now installed on your system, you should no longer be affected by this problem after you re-install ACT!.

Message Edited by avanderlaan on 06-18-2008 09:53 AM
Adrian VanderLaan
Professional Computer Management Inc.
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

OK... I'll re-install today and let you all know. 

Thanks

Tom

This is like a bad car wreck...  Smiley Sad

Uninstalled ACT 2008 and rebooted the server.  Now I'm running the install.  After it verifies the EULA and where to install, I get a box that states...

"Error: -2 - Transform Package" with the title of "Feature Transfer Error".  Anyone know what the reason is for this. 

The ACT system here has been upgraded in 2006, 2007, and 2008.  I've tried to install in a different directory (SQL option won't allow me to change it's install location.) but no dice.  Installing the Network Sync services also give the same error as mentioned above. 

Thank you for your time... Sorry to be a pest. 

Tom

Got past the Error -2 issue.  I got the actual ACT! 2008 CD and it ran fine. 

Not out of the woods yet. protexis Licensing V2 is showing on the service list as Starting.  As I let time pass, it now is marked for deletion and still Starting. 

I've seen threads that has fixes for Vista, but this is on a Windows SBS 2003 Server.  Is there a solution for SBS 2003? 

Thanks for your help so far! 

Tom

Platinum Elite Contributor

Try this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4dr3bz

If that doesn't work, the best solution is to do a reall clean reinstall.

This is a procedure I wrote to get the most clean install possible:
Uninstall any version of ACT! from Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338 (the exe, not the manual uninstall)
Uninstall .Net Framework (all versions) - this does NOT apply to Vista users as .Net 2.0 is part of the OS and can't be uninstalled
Uninstall any MS SQL items from the Control Panel if still there
Uninstall MSXML Services from Control Panel if it's still there
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install .Net 2.0 Framework (only 2.0 for ACT! 9/10) from MS web site (only XP, not Vista)-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en
Manually install MS SQL as per ACT! KB 19386
Install ACT! 10.0 full install
Download and Install ACT! 10.02 patch if the previous install was the previous build
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

So far the ACT! KB article is not working.  The Protexis Licensing Service will stop when the .EXE is killed, and when the service is started in Services, it's OK. However, when ACT! starts the services goes back to Starting and it eventually dies. 

My Databases have already been updated with the 10.0.2 version, so they cannot be read by 10.0.  Also, running Repair does not work after installing 10.0.2. 

I'm not comfortable with uninstalling MS SQL Server.  Again, this is a Windows SBS 2003 server, and we have installed MSSQL 2000 that runs other functions.  Not too keen on unloading that.  However, I have (several times) deleted the ACT! directory to force a re-install.  I've also loaded the .NET 2.0 after removing the .NET 2.0 SP1. 

I'm still wrestling with this, but I did want to point out the Sage KB article does not work. 

Tom

Platinum Elite Contributor

Tommy_Joe wrote:

So far the ACT! KB article is not working.  The Protexis Licensing Service will stop when the .EXE is killed, and when the service is started in Services, it's OK. However, when ACT! starts the services goes back to Starting and it eventually dies. 

Yeah, I find, when Protexis fails, a reinstall is the usual way

My Databases have already been updated with the 10.0.2 version, so they cannot be read by 10.0.  Also, running Repair does not work after installing 10.0.2. 

You don't need to read them in 10.0... install from original version and then do the patch as per the instructions

I'm not comfortable with uninstalling MS SQL Server.  Again, this is a Windows SBS 2003 server, and we have installed MSSQL 2000 that runs other functions.  Not too keen on unloading that.  However, I have (several times) deleted the ACT! directory to force a re-install.  I've also loaded the .NET 2.0 after removing the .NET 2.0 SP1. 

ACT! 2008 uses SQL 2005, not 2000. But as it's a Protexis issue and not SQL, use this shorter version:

Deleting the ACT! folder won't fix much... using the Uninnstaller.exe from the KB as I suggested

Uninstall any version of ACT! from Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338 (the exe, not the manual uninstall)
Uninstall .Net Framework (all versions) - this does NOT apply to Vista users as .Net 2.0 is part of the OS and can't be uninstalled
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install .Net 2.0 Framework (only 2.0 for ACT! 9/10) from MS web site (only XP, not Vista)-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displa...

You can install .Net 1.1 if you find later you have any apps that use it.
Install ACT! 10.0 full install
Install ACT! 10.02 patch if the previous install was the previous build
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot