Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Premium 2008 and Terminal Services

Tuned Listener

ACT Premium 2008 and Terminal Services

Hello All:

I'm not an IT Admin, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.....

We have an outside IT Admin who would like to run ACT 2008 using Terminal Services.  I've read through the white paper on this subject, but from the way I understand it, there are no local installations on user's desktops.  They have to access Terminal Services to run the software.  They have to have an internet connection to run Terminal Services.  Is this correct?  If so, then they do not have the option of running locally and syncing?

The organization has determined that the need exists for ACT users to use ACT locally, because there are cases when they are out in the field and need to schedule an activity, etc., but they don't have internet access.  This works fine having a local VPN connection, having ACT installed locally, with synchronization enabled. 

I'm not clear if our needs will be met using Terminal Services, and if so, how, and what the advantages would be.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: ACT Premium 2008 and Terminal Services

If your only remote user is your IT Admin, then terminal services works quite well. Here's what's needed: 1. Server where ACT db resides is accessible from the internet 2. Terminal Services is installed on this same server and activated for remote administration. There is no need to obtain TS CALs if the IT guy is the only remote user. 3. Be sure to use a static internet ip address; dynamic ip addresses on internet interfaces great major problems when using RDP. 4. Use remote desktop protocol to access the Internet address of the ACT server. If there is a firewall/router/modem between the internet and your LAN, then RDP will point to the IP address of this unit and your unit will need to be configured to forward RDP requests to your ACT server. Your IT Admin should know how to do this. 5. The PAD file used to access the db should be edited to change the server host name to its LAN ip address. This file, which is really only a short cut to the ACT executable, can either reside on the local server or on the remote computer. All of this assumes a constant internet connection that does not use dial up. Good luck.
Tuned Listener

Thank you for your response.  The trouble is that we have users that are remote and need to access offline.  It sounds like Terminal Services is a good solution in some cases, but not in ours.  Our remote users will not always have internet access, and therefore, won't be able to use ACT!  unless they have an internet connection.
Copper Elite Contributor

In this situation, you can try to synchronize the server database with remote users.
You can follow this article How To Set Up Application synchronization in ACT! and check.
this should answer your question