Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Premium 2008 and Outlook 2007 - Address Book service is not properly configured...

Copper Contributor

ACT! Premium 2008 and Outlook 2007 - Address Book service is not properly configured...

Hi All:

I am running ACT! Premium 2008 Version 10.0.2.191 with Outlook 2007. My system is 2.8 GHz, 2GB RAM running Windows XP Pro. I have gone through the email setup process and restarted both programs. There is no communication between ACT! and Outlook. I am not able to find any toolbar or reference to ACT! in Outlook.

When I start Outlook, I receive a message: ACT! Address Book - The ACT! Address Book service is not properly configured, or the configured database "Name.pad" is locked. Do you want to configure it now? Yes  No

When I click yes, the Address Books window appears. The proper database and machine are listed. If I click edit, the proper database, user name, and passwork are there.

When I leave that window (ACT!) which says: Changes to the ACT! Address Book will not take effect until you restart Outlook.

I click "OK" and close the Address Books window. Then the same message I originally responded to reappears.

When I click that I don't want to configure it now, Outlook opens.

The ACT! Address Book appears in the Account Settings, but does not appear in the Address Books when I try to use it to address a message. There is no evidence of an ACT! toolbar in Outlook, at all. There are no histories being recorded in ACT!

In the Trust Center, the ACT! Outlook Addin is active, but it has an unusual location, only "mscoree.dll. There is no path listed at all, like all the other add-ins. It is listed as a COM Add-in.

I have uninstalled ACT! and reinstalled it. I have removed the Outlook email setup from ACT! and Outlook and set it up again withour success. The only ACT! service I see running or even listed is the ACT! Scheduler.

Where do I go from here. Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: ACT! Premium 2008 and Outlook 2007 - Address Book service is not properly configured...

Act tech support say to uninstall outlook and uninstall act. Then reinstall outlook and then Act, in that order - I am waiting for a quicker easier tip to fix it than that. So I await the forums response with interest. My configuration is near identical to yours.

So far 3.5 hrs with tech support and they havent fixed this. 3 reinstalls. yuk!

Re: ACT! Premium 2008 and Outlook 2007 - Address Book service is not properly configured...

Best of luck - we had the same issues here with a Vista computer. We finally upgraded EVERYONE to the new release (which is supposed to fix known issues with Vista!) of 10.02.

The ACT buttons only show up "sometimes" for our Vista users. I think we narrowed it down to opening ACT first, and then Outlook in order for the add-in features to work.

If anyone finds out the real answer we'll all be grateful!

Copper Super Contributor

I just ran into this problem recently with a company, and here was the solution we found:

It seems that if Act is re-installed, it can leave the old address book in the registry, even though it makes no reference to it in the actual address book setup wizard in Outlook. No matter how many times you add/change the new Act address book in Outlook, or wether you uninstall Act/Outlook the registry will still point to the old database.

How we solved it was went to the registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ACT\OutlookAddressBooks\

There should be 3 folders numbered 1 to 3. Make the changes to EACH folder:

Make the "padFile" information blank

Make the "Password" entry reflect the following:          4F4367F5F42DC7E280D133240E765ED3

Make the "User" entry blank

Now all Act address book settings in Outlook should be reset. You should be able to add your Act address book without getting any errors.

Michael Kadlec
Act! Certified Consultant
Corelogix Corporation

How do you get to the "registry key" to do this??
Tuned Listener

Kadlec, you are the Cadillac of answer guys!  I did what you said and fixed two remote databases.  My thanks.

[ Edited ]

Thank you Mike!  Worked great.

The questions you have to ask yourself, given that some guy was, believably, on the phone with support for 3 hours,are:

1) What was Sage doing to miss this bug?

2) How come they couldn't solve it - you did?

3) How do they write such junk to the registry anyways?

I'm exasperated.

Content edit.  Please post courteously.

Message Edited by dlunceford on 09-15-2008 09:39 AM

1) What was Sage doing to miss this bug?

This isnt a bug.  Remove the address book first before uninstalling ACT! to avoid this issue.

2) How come they couldn't solve it - you did?

Support can solve this issue. 

3) How do they write such junk to the registry anyways?

The registry key isn't 'junk'.  This is were our integration stores what ACT! address books are added in Outlook.

Copper Elite Contributor

Can Sage direct us to the KB article that addresses the fact that a customer should be removing the address book? Does the ACT Uninstaller do it for you?

Bob Kennedy
ACC
Kenbar Solutions CT,CA & FL

[ Edited ]

Its best practice that we do to remove the integration to avoid issues.  Don't believe there is a KB explaining this.  I will forward a request to the KB team.

The ACT! uninstaller doesn't remove the address book from Outlook, but it does delete that key.

Message Edited by dlunceford on 09-15-2008 12:15 PM