Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Premium 20.1 U3 - Email Body in History

Copper Contributor

ACT! Premium 20.1 U3 - Email Body in History

Our company just updated ACT! Premium to version 20.1.120.0, Update 3, and we immediately noticed that the emails we attach to contacts are now being attached with the Body of the email included in the Details field.  I've been using ACT! for over 13 years, and here are just a few issues I have with this new change.

1.  In the E-mail Setup Wizard, we have always set the 'Email - Record History' (Page 5 of 8) and the 'E-mail - Attach to ACT! Contacts' (Page 6 of 8) to 'E-mail subject, message and all attachments', so we could simply click on the Blue Paperclip in the Attachments column to open the original email for viewing.  This was a very clean and compact way for us to see all of the emails associated with a contact, and it allowed each History to be contained on a single line.  Now, with the body of the email being forced into the Details view, every email we attach, with the aforementioned settings, requires the space of 5 of our old Histories to display it.  Additionally, each email looks terrible in the Details view because the field can't duplicate a true copy of the email without adding a bunch of double-spaces to it.  And, unfortunately, there is no longer an option in the E-mail Setup Wizard to show our Histories the way they used to be displayed (as single lines with the paperclip), so we're forced to see these large Regarding & Details fields in all of our email Histories going forward.

2. I've always added quote and order information to the Details field of attached emails containing that information, so the information was easily viewable in the History and those important items stuck out like a sore thumb over the other single line Histories.  Now, with every History being 5 lines tall of miscellaneous text, these priority emails will not be as easily seen in the Contact History.

3. I can see how having the email body present in each History Detail field might improve on the Search function of ACT!, but if that was the reasoning behind the change, then I would suggest that you work on improving the Search feature.  The display format for the results is confusing and poorly organized, and many times, the results are flooded with numerous occurrences of the same email or opportunity.  Now, with the body of every email being included in the Contact History, the Search results, in their current format, will begin to get so far out of control that it'll become that much more difficult to find what you're looking for.

Thank you for your time and consideration.  As of right now, I kind of wish we had stayed in the previous version.

ACT Histories after v20_1 update 3.JPG

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT! Premium 20.1 U3 - Email Body in History

Here's another problem:
I just added my first quote details to the Details field of an attached History, just like I've always done, but because the body of the email is now forced into the Details field, ACT! doesn't show my comment on a separate line below the Subject line like it used to.  Instead, it placed my comment immediately following the last character of the Subject line, on the very same line, and it looks terrible.

ACT Community Post - ACT Details running into Subject line.jpg

Copper Contributor

Regarding the previous post, I've discovered that if I key in a 'Return' prior to adding my notes to the Details, then they will appear on the next line down from the Subject line, so I guess I'm always going to have to do this, and I'm going to have to teach all of my coworkers to do this as well, so our notes don't end up contaminating the Regarding field/Subject Line.

Administrator

Hi mgagnon,

Thank you for the detail in this report, and for explaining how it's affecting your workflow.
I've passed this thead on to our Product team who who will record the info in a Story (used for tracking product improvement requests) and process it for future enhancement..

Just upgraded over the weekend to 20.1,  Same experience here,  people are complaining about display of email history.  This is a pain.  

Administrator

Hi, we're aware of this issue and we are planning to release a fix in the upcoming v20.1 Update 5 which is due in the coming weeks.

Thanks for your patience!

Thanks for the update.  I've talked to support twice,  they told me to go here and post.  Thanks

Copper Contributor

Thanks, JonTaylor and gbirk777.  I actually like the idea of having the body of the email available for the purpose of Searching the database, but I think the way it's being displayed needs some refining.  I wouldn't want to see the Details field eliminated from the History Record, since I often use that space to add easy-to-see details about quotes or purchase orders within the email.  If there was some way to include the email body in a field, but still keep the simplified format as it used to be, then we could return to a compact and succinct History view, while still being able to access the body of the email through the Search function.  It almost seems like there could be a separate field for the email body, while still allowing the user the ability to add notes to high-priority emails so they stand out among the rest of the emails in a Contact's History.  I know that's asking a lot, but it does help us a great deal when we can easily locate a quote or purchase order, based on the notes we personally added to the Details field.  Perhaps something like a Notes field could be populated with user comments and display in the History only when it's populated.  Or maybe move the body of the email out of the Details field and into something like an Email Body field, which could easily be accessed for viewing or searching the words within the email.

Bronze Elite Contributor

What needs to happen is have the Regarding field include optional text color highlighting, making it readily visible on scanning through history. I think I asked for this about 10 years ago. 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

There is still an issue in 20.1 R 5 related to this:

Issue: Editing a history removed the return after the subject, even if you change a different part of the body.

a) Email histories record fine with Subject on a separate line.

b) If you edit the history, and change something (say remove a word in the body) and save the change, the carriage return after the subject is removed, and it flows straight onto the body on the same line - looking messy.