Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Premium 18.2.53 problem with PDF files

ACT Premium 18.2.53 problem with PDF files

In the contact record under documents we have traditionally attached sales orders, purchase orders, logo's etc...  ACT is suddenly unable to open pdf files - I am suspicious this may have something to do with Adobe Reader XI.  There is no error message when i click on the document, in fact nothing appears to happen, although  I can confirm that Adobe is trying to start.  Observing the task manager while attempting to open the pdf reveals that Adobe does in fact start. 

If anyone has a suggestion or know a fix please let me know. 

Software:

Windows 10 Pro

Act Premium 18.2.53

Adobe Reader XI

Things I have tried:

Reinstall Adobe Reader XI

Set Default Program for .pdf to Adobe Reader XI

Making Sure Windows 10 is updated

Making Sure Adobe is updated

Searching ACT KB

Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

Employee

Re: ACT Premium 18.2.53 problem with PDF files

[ Edited ]

Good morning,

Thanks for the background info.  Could you launch the event viewer (right-click start button, select Event Viewer), expand 'Windows Logs' on the left sidebar , select 'Application' and see if there are any errors which flag up when you attempt to open a .pdf from within Act! (see attached)

Are you successfully able to open any other types of files associated with contact records?

Thanks

Bronze Elite Contributor

Just to clarify  as you say we -

Is this happening on more that 1 machine?

KarlR wrote:

Good morning,

Thanks for the background info.  Could you launch the event viewer (right-click start button, select Event Viewer), expand 'Windows Logs' on the left sidebar , select 'Application' and see if there are any errors which flag up when you attempt to open a .pdf from within Act! (see attached)

Are you successfully able to open any other types of files associated with contact records?

Thanks

Thanks to all who responded. This is only happening on 1 machine, it is an ASUS Laptop.  I will have access to it again this afternoon and run the event viewer during the operation.

Regarding open other types of files:

JPG's open up fine. 

Bronze Elite Contributor

Consider downloading from the link below for Tiny PDF and see if that works. It will help with problem solving to know if it is all PDF files or just when Adobe is being used.

http://www.tinypdf.com/downloads.html