Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT / Outlook

ACT / Outlook

I am trying to get (even an ad hoc) email marketing campaign together...the more easily scaled and executed, the better.

There are 43,000 contacts in my ACT database....of those there are 300-400 I want to extract and email on a regular basis...

Using Outlook, can I export just this group of 300+ contacts?  For instance, If I create a group or a look-up based on the tags I've put on these contacts, is there an export group to Outlook function (or procedure) ... step by step is MOST apprecited, as I have been trying to fiddle with this the last 7 hours with no progress Smiley Wink 

And consider, I am going to want these 300+ to go into 3,4 different groups in outlook, to be sent different, tailored messages ... does this change the export/import process in any way; please advise accordingly.

What is the best way to export individual contacts, that are not tagged to the group/look-up, to round out the total export?

ALso, is there any add-ons in terms of supplemental software that you would recommend that would make this process very easy/intuitive?

Thank You Very Much for your feedback,

David

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT / Outlook

Hello davidvdillon,
Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. In regards to your question, are you trying to export the contacts from ACT! to Outlook, or are you wanting to do an email merge of your lookup from ACT! via Outlook? This latter can be done through the Mail Merge option under the Write menu. If you are looking for good way to design and manage an email campaign, then Swiftpage may be a good option for you. If you are using ACT! 2010, then Swiftpage is part of the program under the name ACT! E-Marketing.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hey Greg ...

I guess part of the problem here is my ignorarance of the tool (probably not the first time you've encountered this)  ...

I think the mail merge would be good...As I understand it, I create a template and can send that out to contacts within a given look-up or group ... is mail merge then customizing individual emails with salutation and company name?   Will they be sent from my outlook address.

I guess I am just going to have to explore this feature...but if you have a link/resource that easily lays out the steps for using this function, that would be most helpful ...

Thank you for your feedback,

David

Platinum Elite Contributor

David,

Yes, the mail merge option would be the best. It will send out indivdual messages from your Outlook account based on a template. You can find more information about mail merges in Knowledgebase Article 13883.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thank you Greg -- for the feedback and link ... now I am encountering some new issues with the mail merge...essentially it is as though Outlook and ACT are not talking ... not sure why...

In Act:  TOOLS - PREFERENCES -- selecting the email tab --  the tab looks strange -- does not have the same interface as the other tabs (or as the email tab, that I have seen people open in tutorials...)

Rather it is just plain text (as in no icons or anything) indicating the CURRENT EMAIL SETTINGS

EMAIL SYSTEMS: MICROSOFT OUTLOOK

OUTLOOK ADDRESS BOOK: (path to my ACT Database) I think 

(NOTE: the data base I have it pointing at is the file I use to load my database whenever I need to restart ACT -- selecting it fills in ACT with 40,000 + contacts with all of the most recent updates.  it is a 1 KB .pad file = 40,000 contacts?  --  or perhaps I have it pointing at the wrong thing))

E-mail Editor: Microsoft Outlook / Send Email from Microsoft Outlook

There is also 1 usable button  --  Email System Setup -- when I select it SOMETIMES  there are two email options (Outlook or Web) ... SOMETIMES there are none.  When I first noticed this I tried this  --   http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2342...    ...   still, sometimes those two options are there--sometimes none are.

When I EMAIL, EMAIL FROM TEMPLATE or MAIL MERGE -- sometimes I get an error message.  Sometimes the progress bar (x of y contacts merged) just finishes and nothing happens...

THe error is "the information store can not be opened"

Any Idea(s)?

Thanks Greg.

David