Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Outlook Address Book error and email attaching issues in APFW v21 (update 2)

Copper Contributor

ACT Outlook Address Book error and email attaching issues in APFW v21 (update 2)

[ Edited ]

I upgraded from ACT Premium v20 to v21, and applied Update 2 to our server. We use Office 365 (Outlook 2016).

On one of our remote workers, i did the following: - Downloaded the ACTIntegrationSetup.exe file directly - Uninstalled the v20 connector and mail merge - Installed a new v21.0.295.0 connector Following errors occur: 1)

Emails don't always attach to ACT for each user; sometimes this depends on Windows 10 updates, but not always 2) Emails that do attach to ACT for other APFW users cannot be opened by other users; either there are errors when it attaches or a sharing violation? Emails attached in error state ' Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. We can't open {file nam}.  It's possible the file is already open, or you don't have permission to open it. To check your permissions, right-click the file folder, then click Properties. '

Everything worked prior to v21. Emails attached through ACT Premium Windows open fine in all platforms, so it's something odd with the APFW/connector.

There aren't any permission issues on our server running the web client or the server running the ACT database (that i know of). 3) Outlook Address Book form page is broken and looks compacted to about 1 inch high and 2-3 inches wide For the Address Book add/edit option, I tried to go off memory of fields to paste in web address, select the database, and enter username and password. I managed to guess the right order and add the Address Book correctly (or at least no errors popped up) but i can't tell if there's other fields beyond the v20 form fields. I submitted bugs through the support portal, but there's never confirmation of submitting them.

Help? Would like email attachments to run smooth for a change.

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT Outlook Address Book error and email attaching issues in APFW v21 (update 2)

[ Edited ]

Update:  We are now on v21 update 5.

Still no resolution on these issues.

Outlook address book connector UI under the Edit function still broken.  I have to guess which fields are the APFW web address, username, database, and password.  If the address book isn't correct, I can't fix it so emails won't attach.

If the address book is correct, our settings are set up to save the email and any attachments.  The emails that do attach can't be opened and we still get the error message above.  ' Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. We can't open {file nam}.  It's possible the file is already open, or you don't have permission to open it. To check your permissions, right-click the file folder, then click Properties. '

Basically less than a third of our emails are attaching correctly, and those are only through our Windows users.  None of our APFW users have their emails attach correctly.

Is anyone else having these issues?  Do I need to completely reinstall ACT on our servers?

Highlighted

Re: ACT Outlook Address Book error and email attaching issues in APFW v21 (update 2)

[ Edited ]

Hi duraedge,

Thank you for posting and following-up. Our company is experiencing the exact same issue. Outlook 2016 on Office365. Act's plugin stopped working after an update. Same problem with the Outlook Address Book form page being broken and looks compacted to about 1 inch high and 2-3 inches wide For the Address Book add/edit option.

I've uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted, removed the address book, and now unable to re-add it because of the compacted window that is impossible to see or guess at where the invisible fields are.

Would appreciate Act's support on this.

I've attached a picture of what the broken address book form page window looks like.

Thank you!

Copper Contributor

Getting similar (although different) issues here when trying to view 'attached' mails. some are legible, and open correctly but some get the same error message

"We can't open {file nam}. It's possible the file is already open, or you don't have permission to open it. To check your permissions, right-click the file folder, then click Properties."

it seemed to happen across the time of 3rd/4th Jan to 7th / 8th Jan 2019. MIGHT be a happen that there was an update at that time?

what I have discovered when 'opening' in Note pad is that the format of the 'un-openable' mails ALL start with the same 'wrong header'

eg a mail that will NOT open is like this:-
? ?  ?  ? >  ? ? 

But a 'proper' mail is like this:-
ÐÏࡱá >  þÿ 
or like this,
ÐÏࡱá >  þÿ 

which looks VERY similar :-)